2 computers via midi

andymann

okay..first post...biggest fear to ask stupid questions but please believe, i tried my best to find a hint before via forum search /goolge...(but failed miserably :P)...

okay this is the situation:

two pc's, both running 'reason' (as an example). both have an usb midi-interface (midisport 2x2) with at least 1 keyboard attached. is there a possible way to connect those pcs two use one common clock signal?

are there any easy-to-draw connection diagrams?

is there a way to kill your hardware if doing wrong?

thanks in advance

andy

Hi Andy :)

welcome to the forums!

No question is stupid if asked friendly like yours ;)

The Midi timing by clock works on a Master/Slave relation, that means the tempo is set by the master and received by the slave(s).

For example:

- connect the MIDI-In port of computer A (running Reason) with

- the MIDI-Out port of computer B (running whatever with MIDI-Clock signal).

- Now configure your application on computer B to send MIDI clock to the output to Computer A.

- In reason (computer A): open the prefs, under "Advanced MIDI" you'll find "Midi Clock Sync".

- Choose the Port that is connected to Computer B. If Reason receives the Clock Signal, you'll see a green mark.

- In the main window of Reason is a button "enable" (MIDI SYNC): that's all.

The MIDI Clock Signal is not channel related, so once you have a signal on one port, it's done.

I don't know how to send a midi clock from reason; you have to consult the manuals for the applications you use, how to send or receive a clock. If it isn't possible, you could run reason as rewire slave in Ableton Live; maybe one of your keyboards can send a clock?

Hope this helps,

best regards,

Michael

Hi,

okay..first post...biggest fear to ask stupid questions but please believe, i tried my best to find a hint before via forum search /goolge...(but failed miserably Tongue)...

That is what we'll get from our discussion about noob questions ...

Nobody should fear his first question ....

Sorry, little Off Topic....  8)

greets

Doc

thanks for your replies.... :)

so just to be sure. in my example the midiclock could come from 'out a' of the master and lead to 'in a' on the slave. 'in b' on both machines could be a keyboard or anything right? (should be...thought about it all night...)

btw: reason just cannot be used as a master clock generator without rewiring etc....(found out later that night).

i guess that due to the fact that there is galvanic seperation (optocoupplers) i don't really have to worry about equalising current between the two machines..right?

for the Mac there is a program called "MidiClock" that is able to send a Master Clock. Maybe there's also a small tool like this for the PC...

Actually, MIDI-Ox can do that stuff too. I use it to check the MIDIMon's MTC display. The "clock" part is a panel called "MIDI Sync", then there's another for sending regular MTC. They've both got boxes where you can enter times, tempo,etc.

If you're dealing with sequencing/DAW apps anyway, running a master clock from one of them is probably the ideal way to go, rather than trying to feed from something weird running behind them.

Take Care