A little help with an encoder based problem?

moogah

I've finally run into another stumbling block in getting the SEQ to feel like an 808's sequencer.  What I have been successful in doing is 'mapping' the press of a function button + GP button to changing both the track and layer parameters so that users can select which instrument they are editing (we are in drum mode).  Now, what I want to implement is the instrument select switch like on the original using an encoder.  I've already got variables setup that remember which number instrument was last pressed so I can increment or decrement that in response to an encoder event and then I *should* be able to move the result into MIOS_PARAMETER1 and then call PROJECT8_ChangeInstrument which takes a GP number, converts it into track/layer then calls SEQ_BUTTON_Trackx_Cont & SEQ_BUTTON_Layerx to change the active layer.  Now, moving the encoder does change the value of PROJECT8_INSTNUM0 and that is reflected in the GP LED display (I have coded it to display the selected track when the function key is pressed).  However, there are two problems:  the first is that the track/layer value doesn't get updated and the second I believe provides the best clue as to what is happening.  When I move the encoder the app doesn't always respond right away, the impression I get is that the value from the encoder is only being updated at a period similar to 1/8 note causing it to sometimes adjust immediatly and sometimes take a few 10s of miliseconds to update.  Now, after troubleshooting this for most of the evening I've decided to take a break and see if I can get a hint or just a fresh perspective from people here.  It's occured to me that perhaps this is normal behavior for the encoders in the SEQ app as they are not normally used like this.  That still would not explain why the track/layer doesn't get updated tho, most of my troubleshooting has been focused around being sure that the value of MIOS_PARAMETER1 that gets 'passed' into PROJECT8_ChangeInstrument is correct, and I am 99% sure of that now.

Variable declarations

;;  free for your pleasure: 0x360-0x37f
;;  and 0x380-0x3ff if the AIN handler is disabled

P8_BASE				EQU 0x380
PROJECT8_INSTNUM0	EQU 0x380
PROJECT8_INSTNUM1	EQU 0x381
PROJECT8_MODE		EQU 0x382
PROJECT8_PARAM1		EQU 0x383
PROJECT8_PARAM2		EQU 0x384
PROJECT8_PARAM3		EQU 0x385
PROJECT8_INST_LED0	EQU 0x386
PROJECT8_INST_LED1	EQU 0x387
PROJECT8_TEMP_VAR	EQU 0x388
Encoder pin assignments
MIOS_ENC_PIN_TABLE
	;; encoders 1-16
	;;        SR  Pin  Mode
#if DEFAULT_ENC_DATAWHEEL >= 0
	ENC_ENTRY  2,  2,  MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED	; Data Wheel
#endif

ENC_ENTRY  1,  6,  MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED2	; ins select
	ENC_ENTRY  6,  2,  MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED2	; tempo
Catching the encoder events
USER_ENC_NotifyChange

#if DEFAULT_ENC_DATAWHEEL >= 0
	;; branch to SEQ_ENC_Datawheel if datawheel
	movf	MIOS_PARAMETER1, W
	xorlw	DEFAULT_ENC_DATAWHEEL
	skpnz
	goto	SEQ_ENC_Datawheel
#endif

movf	MIOS_PARAMETER1, W
	xorlw	0x00
	skpnz
	goto	PROJECT8_InstChange

movf	MIOS_PARAMETER1, W
	xorlw	0x01
	skpnz
	goto	PROJECT8_TempoChange
inc/dec the current selected instrument (track/layer) and move it into MIOS_PARAMETER1
PROJECT8_InstChange
	SET_BSR	P8_BASE
	btfss	MIOS_PARAMETER2, 7, 0	; increment if negative bit is clear
	incf	PROJECT8_INSTNUM0, 1
	btfsc	MIOS_PARAMETER2, 7, 0	; decrement if negative bit is set
	decf	PROJECT8_INSTNUM0, 1
	movff	PROJECT8_INSTNUM0, MIOS_PARAMETER1

PROJECT8_ChangeInstrument
;This function takes MIOS_PARAMETER1, converts it to a track/layer number then calls the functions to change the track/layer
Some of the additional code to display the selected track on the GP LED's.  PROJECT8_INSTNUM0 is used to determine which LED to light up, so I'm fairly sure it is not being overwritten
SEQ_GP_LED_Update
	;; clear the 16 GP LEDs
	SET_BSR	SEQ_BASE
	clrf	SEQ_GP_LED0, BANKED
	clrf	SEQ_GP_LED1, BANKED

;; menu select LED overlays everything
	SET_BSR	P8_BASE
	BIFSET	PROJECT8_MODE, PROJECT8_MODE_MENU1, BANKED, rgoto PROJECT8_Menu1_LED
	SET_BSR	SEQ_BASE

*sigh*

No love tonight either.  On the way home from work I had become very hopeful that the problem was caused by some ungrounded AIN pins or some wrong settings in main.asm reguarding the AIN pins.. but no..  I got a few other features coded up and tested and then began to work through the process of comparing what is different about my method of using the encoder and what is in SEQ_ENC_Handler.  Unfortunaltly my mojo must be weak tonight because as I went to make another test upload everything went wrong.. actually the upload went fine but when the PIC booted into MIOS the LCD messages were offset across half the screen and wrapped around the other side while midi messages streamed from the PIC.. doh.  I checked my code real quick for some bonehead mistakes like leaving in an org 0x00000 statement.  Nope, all clear there.  Not wanting to loose any time I simply poped open another PIC and proceded to upload, this time it wouldn't boot into MIOS at all.  Doh.  So I decided I must have done something stoopid in code and loaded up the .hex (I use MIOS studio) for the 2.4c application.... still no dice, same symptoms.  DOh.  I figured I'd try one more PIC just for the hell of it and then call it quits, no dice there either.  DOH.

Thats it for me tonight  :(  ???

Derr. :-[

In case anybody doesn't already realize what I did wrong last night, here it is:  In the process of testing code I must have overwritten a section of the memory where MIOS lives, and then didn't remember to re-upload MIOS in order to fix this.  In short, MIOS didn't boot because MIOS wasn't there.  Derf.

UPDATE:

Mojo is back tonight  ;D  Once I had a programmed PIC to work with it only took my a cycle or two to realize that I wasn't clearing the value of MIOS_PARAMETER2, which is where the direction of the encoder movement is stored.

Here is the working code with a bit added to display the selected track for a couple seconds whenever the encoder is moved:

PROJECT8_InstChange

SET_BSR P8_BASE

bsf PROJECT8_MODE, PROJECT8_MODE_MENU1, BANKED

TABLE_ADDR PROJECT8_ExitInstSelect

movlw 0x08

call CS_MENU_SetDelayedCallbackHook

btfss MIOS_PARAMETER2, 7, 0 ; increment if negative bit is clear

incf PROJECT8_INSTNUM0, 1

btfsc MIOS_PARAMETER2, 7, 0 ; decrement if negative bit is set

decf PROJECT8_INSTNUM0, 1

clrf MIOS_PARAMETER2, 0 ; AHA!  I didn't clear this last time!

movff PROJECT8_INSTNUM0, MIOS_PARAMETER1

; Code snipped

PROJECT8_ExitInstSelect

SET_BSR P8_BASE

bcf PROJECT8_MODE, PROJECT8_MODE_MENU1, BANKED

return