help programming special pot.

hello everyone of this community,

could someone help me with programming my midibox. i was wondering how to program one of the pot to be able to switch midi note in only one channel. for example pot number one: i trigger a note with one of the buttons and change the note using that 500k pot for example from 0 to 10k could be c, 10 to 20k csharp, 20 to 30 d, etc (without pitchbend, just note select)while i keep the button pushed. initial note could be programmed to c0 or d2 etc. please, my programming skill are not as good as yours. could you help me? i built the burner and the midibox 64 and both function. thanks.

Hmm, I'm not sure I completely understand what you want to do, but at the moment it doesn't sound like you need to write any special code to do this, you would simply need to assign a pot or encoder to change the midi note value.  I would also reccomend just using an encoder to do this because it can be tricky finding the right value with a pot.  Also a 10k pot is all you need, the application doesn't measure the resistance but instead the voltage.  Speaking of, which application are you using?  MB64?  MBSEQ? 

Unfortunately what you've described won't quite work.... The pitch of the note must be known before the note is played...

Maybe something like this: You have an encoder with built in switch, and one button. encoder pushed in selects the octave when turned, encoder not pushed in selects note (a-g) when turned, button pushed in sends note on, button released sends note off....?

midibox 64 and both function. thanks.

I managed to miss that when I posted.. my bad.

Unfortunately what you've described won't quite work.... The pitch of the note must be known before the note is played...

I've not looked at the MB64 code yet and don't have one built, so allow me to speculate: if what we are trying to do is send a note on event from a button followed by quantized pitch information from a encoder (or pot), why wouldn't we have the initial value stored in the application?  The way I'm understanding this the only complication is sending the pitch shift information while the button is pressed.

If, perhaps, the MB64 only sends increment/decrement signals over MIDI, then yea, we def need to stick with a pot to do this :)  I can't think of one at the moment but there is probably a fairly easy method of gathering the value coming from the pot and quantizing it, and you can likely code the scale you want it quantized to (bonus  :)), the only real catch is that to change the pitch of a note that is playing you need to send a pitch bend message (correct me if I'm wrong) and to do that you will need to keep track of the initial pitch to find the interval value.  Not as complicated as it sounds really.  If I get stumped on my project again tonight I'll open up the MB64 source and see if I can point out some good places to start.

allow me to speculate: if what we are trying to do is send a note on event from a button followed by quantized pitch information

I think filmcomposer needs to clear this up... are you trying to send a note and then pitchbend it, or send notes at certain pitches?

hello to every one of you, nices guys to try to help me. i wasn't very clear in fact,. what i would like is the possibility to chose the note with some kind of encoder and simply triger it witrh a piezzo. it is not pitch bend that i'm looking for. i want for example a single piezzo to triger (using that encoder) c/bass drum, C# rimshot, d snare etc. the pitch bend would just modify the pitch of the soundin instrument, not changing the instrument wich is what i'm looking for. thanks to all of you again.