MIDI Router User Interface

sarnold

Hi all,

I've just started building a small MIDI Router for controlling the mapping of my drum-triggers to different samplers and sequencers. I have a MIDI-converter for the triggerpads, so it's just a MIDI-to-MIDI router (in my case 2inx2out). I want to build a small user interface where I can select presets (e.g. the current song) on the LCD and - in the next step - where I can edit the routing on-the-fly.

So I thought of customizing the MIDI router C-application with this UI. Currently I am working on a state chart diagram for the menu handling that uses 4 menu and 4 preset buttons (next/prev band, next/prev song).

Is somebody else working on a similar solution? (I just read that Thorsten is building a router, too...)

so long,

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

I've planned to implement a small user interface once I found a good 19" case which allows me to add a 2x40 LCD, because I want to add a MIDI status display as well.

But it will be a very propritary solution for myself, the mapping still has to be programmed, only constants of this mapping will be changable via (maybe) 8 button/LED combinations (e.g. CC Filter for MBSEQ->PC Path On/Off, or forcing MIDI channel of keyboard input to Chn.#16 On/Off, or mapping CC's from the MIDI keyboard to other CC numbers On/Off)

So, just go for your own user interface and publish it in the Wiki! I really like it, when people document their modifications, this could be inspirative for others to do more changes.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 months later...

It's just the router project, slightly extended by some very specific button/encoder functions for my private needs:

Button A: MBSEQ routed to MBSID/MBFM

Button B: Force MIDI Channel of Keyboard to a specific Channel

Button C: Transpose Keyboard

Button D: Keyboard to MBSID enable/disable

Button E: Keyboard to MBFM enable/disable

Button F: Keyboard to MBSEQ enable/disable

I don't plan a customizable version, it wouldn't be worth the effort... I'm happy with the available functions and I'm using them intensively since 1 year

The routing/filtering/mapping can be changed in the source code, accordingly this is the most flexible MIDI router you can find ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The routing/filtering/mapping can be changed in the source code, accordingly this is the most flexible MIDI router you can find ;-)

Yes .... if you know where to put your hands on ...

But on the other hand it gives us a great change to put our nose deeper in the code. Learning by doing  :D

greets

Doc

• 1 year later...

You said your queston was for TK, I hope we can all help :)

for connection eight devices or instruments + PC?

You can do that, and more, on one single midi port, no need for a router in most cases  ... This one supports 8 ports, in and out, and the data can be routed in any way you wish, so it would be ample for your needs :)

Well is it 8 devices or 8 ports? You don't need one port per device, devices can share ports.

The PIC core will probably never support more than 4 IIC_MIDI modules due to timing constraints.

This is a router, not a midi interface, so there is only "standalone mode".