Ableton MidiFeedback / Midi Remote Scripts

DavidBanner

Hi All,

Have some questions regarding the midiFeedback in Ableton

does anyone know either of the following:

a) how to go about writing custom MIDI remote scripts?

b) in particular how would I go about mapping the buttons (i.e. the  "power button" or one of the Eq kill buttons) on a plugin (i.e. the Eq 3 plugin) to a midi event, so when you press the button using the mouse it sends a midi event?

a) no idea, i don t think it s possible but i also think that everything is possible

b)it is already there, when you actuate on a plugin with the mouse it will send a midi output (a small coloured square in the upper right corner will notify you), just remember to activate a proper midi device in the preferences

simone

hello,

to answer your first question, it is possible to create custom scripts in Live 6. please find the following folder and read through the text files:

OSX:

/user/library/preferences/Ableton/user remote scripts

WinXP/2000:

c:/documents and settings/[username]/application data/ableton/live x.x/preferences/user remote scripts

Note that on some Windows systems the application data folder is hidden by default. Here is what you have to do to make it visible:

1. Launch Windows Explorer.

2. Select Tools/Folder Options/View.

3. Check "Show hidden files and folders."

You could also check this thread:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47157

best regards,

nico

I would go with LC. In Ableton Live 6 there is a list of Control Surfaces in Preferences where you just need to select Mackie Controll and IN/OUT. I tested it a and it works OK, but again, it can be used only for controling parameters suported by Ableton Live MIDI. In Live 6 midinotefeedback don`t work and Live reports error.

In Live 6 kill buttons of EQ3 are MIDI mappable

David, what power button are you talking about? Do you mean Device Activator button on the corner of plugin? If so, it can be mappable too.

hi all,

I'm on top of it all now - all I needed to do was to activate the midi of the object (i.e. button etc) and it starts sending the midi data.

The LC script won't do - I have lots more stuff that I need to do that the LC doesn't support (have already been playing with it).

Do you mean Device Activator button on the corner of plugin? If so, it can be mappable too.

yeah - I know, have mapped it b4, but didn't have ableton in front of me and wasn't sure how to activate the midinote feed back - again all sorted now.

In Live 6 midinotefeedback don`t work and Live reports error.

mmmm, this is worrying!

I guess everything will have to be done with a script...