Patch change without LCD - problem

mcmurray

Hi guys.  I just completed my sid and it's working fine with the inbuilt patch!  I don't have an LCD yet, but in an attempt to get more sounds out of the sid I plugged in a DIN module, with a menu button and rotary encoder, plus a bankstick.

The bankstick formatted successfully and I transferred the preset patches to the bankstick.  Now I seem to get some funny results with the bankstick plugged in.  Every time I press a key it results in a 6 tone tune being played, which does not change with different keys pressed.  I tried changing patches by pressing the menu button twice then twisting the rotary encoder but the 6 tone tune still remains, although with a different timbre.  The sid is putting out some funny sounds with the bankstick in place.  BTW I'm not hearing a startup tune, I'm wondering if the startup tune is what I'm hearing when the bankstick is installed and keys are pressed?  The sound changes as soon as I install the bankstick. Is this supposed to happen? (I would have thought the default patch would remain until changed)

As soon as I remove the bankstick normal operation resumes.  I'll be getting the LCD next week.  Has anyone successfully changed patches without the LCD attached?

Cheers

I've changed patches without an LCD before, the lack of LCD is unrelated I think, but makes debugging harder.

It has happened to me before that by plugging in a BankStick for the first time, it got stuck on Bank H, patch 128... that bug should have been fixed already :-)

The 6 tone tune might be the Zelda patch which is patch 128, again, sounds like it's stuck on the last patch. The "startup" tune is a very short rising tone, less than half a second.

I suggest trying to change the patch using MIOS Studio... the virtual keyboard can change the patch (see "Program" spinner). Also try switching to Bank A, from the spec, sending:

F0 00 00 7E 46 <device-number> 0B <bank> F7

will change the current bank (you'll probably just use "F0 00 00 7E 46 00 0B 00 F7")

Switching to Bank A will store in the PIC that you're using Bank A, so next time it should boot in Bank A (in case it was doing wierd things and stuck in a non-existent bank!) Same with patch number, it should remember what patch you used last time when you boot it.

I would have thought the default patch would remain until changed

The "default" patch is stored in the PIC, and it's no longer accessable after you plug in a BankStick.

Wilba - You're the man!

It turns out it was stuck on one of the zelda patches.  I could change the patch through mios studio as you mentioned, but I am having no luck with the rotary encoder and menu button.

In the mean time can you tell me how to change the patches useing just the rotary encoder and the menu button?  (my midi keyboard is away from the pc and using the mouse to play tunes isn't fun)

I'm going to have some serious fun with this thing when I get the lcd display!!

The MB-SID should boot up in the "Top Screen":

top1.gif

and turning the rotary encoder should change the patch. You don't need to press the menu button.

You might have the wiring of the buttons and encoder wrong somehow, or maybe you're missing a resistor on one of the DIN inputs, or missing a resistor to "terminate" the chain of shift registers (see R33-R36) or maybe even forgot to ground the CLI pin (pin 15) on the shift registers. (OK all this suggests you hand-made your DIN module instead of using a PCB).

Wilba - you pointed me in the right direction once again, thanks.  I have the din module shown here;

http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/mbhp_dinR3.html

It turns out I had the SIL resistor networks mounted the wrong way, and I swapped the 3 connections on the rotary encoder and all seems fine now :)

Now it's time to make some music.  I feel a SID/Electric guitar duet coming on  ;D

Wilba's MIDIbox Debugging Service

Debugging your MIDIbox from across the globe with only the powers of his own mind!

If you have found this service worthwhile, feel free to x-click-but04.gif an amount that reflects how happy you are that your MIDIbox now works!

(Note: donations are not tax deductible)