Hammond Organ synthesis

robinfawell

Thats a good question.

But I have my own opinion on this.

I think, it isn't possible to reproduce the original hammond sound with any other device than a good old hammond and a good (& heavy) leslie Cabinett ...  8)

You can make some good organ sounds ... but never a hammond.

Sorry ... my opinion

greets

Doc

I agree with Doc, the Leslie speaker and its cabinet reflections are complex.  Similar opinions are also valid for piano synthesis.

However I am unlikely to ever own or would even accommodate a real Hammond organ.

As mentioned in a recent topic I am very impressed with the NI Softsynths B4 simulations and would be delighted if a hardware midibox solution could produce similar sounds.

Bearing in mind the above, which synths referred to in the opening thread offfer the best solution.

Regards Robin

• 2 weeks later...

Damn right there are! The DX27 does a fair imitation, but it's a bit cold and sterile. Running it through a nice analogue chorus pedal does wonders. I'm sure a leslie sim would too.

Another fairly nice hammond type sound can be got from the Korg Poly800, and you can pick them up pretty cheaply. This allows you to mix footage harmonics for it's dual DCO's from 16' to 4' so you can get a pretty good approximation. Add to that the pretty nice LP VCF it does a pretty good job in my eyes.

However, as has been said before you don't get the cabinet resonance or the dirt from tube amps like you would from a real leslie equipped B, so you can only get so far.

hi all

the hammond sound is unique!!!  i understand that it is produced by some electro-mechanical means.  add to that, the B3 went out of production in the mid 70's after a production run of around a quarter century.

good news is that hammond is selling an upgraded model called The New B3 for about a year now http://hammondorganco.com/B3.htm.

alternatively native instruments has a software synth called the B4 II  http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=b4ii_us&ftu=5b3b828ddb49ef0

OrganGrinder

• 2 weeks later...

There is an article somwhere out there on the reproduction on a Juno106 using the Juno sliders as drawbars. Perhaps it could be modified to suit. Not sure though, sythesis is not my strong point.

add to that, the B3 went out of production in the mid 70's after a production run of around a quarter century

1932 to 1976 I think, closed after its founder died in '73.

Am renaming myself the HammondGeek I think!!

I would like to thank everyone for their input.  As mentioned in another thread I will concentrate on making a rackmount pc then attempt to make a midi controller for the Native Instruments softsynth trio. (Cut down versions of the B4, FM7 and Prophet 53)

As a future project I would like to make a hardware Leslie Speaker simulator.  However a full Hammond Organ ie 2 keyboards with pedalboard based on the full version of Native Instruments B4 is also attractive.  I would base all the controls on Midibox modules.

Robin

Am near completion of a keyboard that integrates a PC, a fatar 88 note weighted keyboard, a full set of drawbars (44) from a Hammond H112 (that's where mdibox takes over), a touchscreen panel and maybe a microwave oven (too much chance of the kitchen sink spilling over). Finish- Baykeaf tolex and a walnut veneer with brass etrusions. Will keep you posted.

Mark.