Stupid newbie question........:P

snorkman

:P Well, hello everyone, I am Milton from Argentina, I am actually making my own customized midibox. I have looked threw all the forum, but i could not find the answers.

Question 1: I would like to know if there are any posibilities to put a MIDI vumeter or leds next to one slide pot so the leds turn on when I move them up and turn off when I move down; like this video.

Question 2: I will use this midi controller to perform live sets with Ableton Live, I also use turntables with TCV´s (Time Coded Vinyls), so the second question is: Can I synchronize my midibox and ableton with vinyls? Is there any way to create a MIDI Synchronizer? I looked threw the internet, and other expensive posibility is to buy a SOUNBITE MICRO by Red Sound.

I am sorry if I bother anyone with this stupid questions, can´t wait to finish my MB64.

Hi :)

Question 1: I would like to know if there are any posibilities to put a MIDI vumeter or leds next to one slide pot so the leds turn on when I move them up and turn off when I move down; like this video.

Yes for sure its quite easy to program this in C for MIOS ;) I can help you for this if u need

Question 2: I will use this midi controller to perform live sets with Ableton Live, I also use turntables with TCV´s (Time Coded Vinyls), so the second question is: Can I synchronize my midibox and ableton with vinyls?

Great Idea...some friends of me thinked about this also for Traktor-DJ-Studio...cause maybe i need this idea to getting finished the Scratch-function for the Traktorizer ;)

Stay tuned...we are on it....but no time in the moment...too many midiboxed to finish  ;D

Regards

MTE

P.S.: If u need my contact,I can PM you my ICQ-Nr. ;)

Well, first of all thanks for your replies.

I have been looking for some, midi mixer samples and i have found on plastikman´s website his XONE 92 made specially for him.

http://www.richiehawtin.com/CTRL/CTRL92RevA.swf

1- If you click on the left side there is a button that says MIDI CHANNEL SELECTION, what is this button used for in ableton live? Can I also apply that button for my midi box?

2- Also on the right there is a tempo control and a push/pull sprin, how does it work?

hmmm, when using an ain (with audio input) and programming the code to detect the peaks you could calculate the bpm and send it via midi. but i don't know if the pic has enough power to do. Would be a good idea (unfortunatly a lot of programming?).

Whats that button for? its to change the outgoing midichannel of the xone.  Nothing more

greetz

dj3nk what's up with the advertising in your sig?

For BPM detection nothing beats the Red Sound V2 engine....

Simply detecting peaks won't work because beats and peaks don't always match. If you want to do beat detection consider 3+ frequency bands and a separate detection on each band and an engine to analyse the correspondence in peaks in the individual bands. Definitely too much for our humble PIC :(

Hey you all!!!!

I have found the way to synchronize ableton with your decks!!!!

It is so easy that i still can´t beilive it!!! :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D

The tool name is push/pull ,  it only uses 4 buttons from your midi controller (you can also asign keyboard), one button for + pitch bend , one for - pitch bend, another for + tempo adjust, the last one for - tempo adjust.

Here is a text with the full specifications (it is in spanish) and a video configuration in english.

http://smartextension s.gustavobravetti.com/sp/pushandpull/pushandpullintro.htm

and here the video  :D :D

hehe see you soon, I´m going to drill the front of my MB64 to include those 4 buttons o a jog wheel. LOL.

bye

http://smartextension s.gustavobravetti.com/sp/pushandpull/pushandpullintro.htm

l l

l l

V

http://smartextensions.gustavobravetti.com/sp/pushandpull/pushandpullintro.htm

*theres a english-button also

;)

well, i just installed it and my first go i mixed live over my vinyl with no problems at all!!!

this thing looks like its awesome, easy to link up to midi controller aswell.  i wonder if its possible to use a pot instead of just pushing and holding a button down to "push and pull" the music.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!

DOES IT WORKS FINE? LATENCY?

I SUPPOSE THAT YOU CAN USE AN ENCODER FOR THE PITCH BEND, I AM PLANNING TO ADD A SILICONE JOG WHEEL WITH BLUE ULTRA BRIGHT LEDS  TO CONTROL THE ENCODER.  AND ANOTHER ONE FOR PROJECT TEMPO CONTROL.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? OF THIS IDEA?  I THINK IT SHOULD WORK ;)

also anoher thing about this encoder & pots.

To asign a tempo control for Ableton, which one do I have to use?

you can use either - it's a personal choice....

and BTW, tis a tad impolite to ask for response a day after posting ;)

another thing can anyone please tell me the specific model of the encoder i have yu use for the MB64,

read the site some more, it's all out there; check the forums, the wiki (which u did) and the build notes....

it comes down to how much you wanna spend and who delivers to where you live....

ALPs and Bournes come highly recommended, ALPS being my weapon of choice

• 2 weeks later...

hey david i am sorry for being so impolite........... :-[

Please accept my apologies.

I have another question, what is the purpouse of the bank stick? can i use it to change the midi channels and work with the same pots and slides for different channels?, do I have to buy another module besides the core 1 din 1 dout  & 1 ain that my MB64 needs??

Is it difficult to configure it? i have 4 channels, and I would like them to change when I press any of the 3 buttons I will use for the bank stick

hey david i am sorry for being so impolite...........

Please accept my apologies.

No need for apologies, especially to me! It was merely a hint on the etiquette round here.

Can't help you on the bankstick I'm afraid - never built one...

What I do know is that it connects to J4 on the core and you'll need to build a bankstick module - i.e. the actual bank stick and wire up a 9 Pin Sub D female connector on your box...

hey snorkman,

love the handle btw!

I'm sure I've seen someone else describe how to do it in the forums - a bit of searching should short it out "button shift" or something similar should flush it out.

the way I'd approach it is to write a function in C with some IFs in there

You could either have a button set as a toggle - i.e. push 1 time for bank a, again for bank b, again bank a etc etc - to do this you set a variable set and toggle the value on each push of the select button

or you could do an test so if the select button is held down in means bank b, bank a if it's not

btw: don't be shy about posting a new thread in the forums - lots of very nice ppl around here...