can parameter names be displayed on the lcd?

ultra

hi.  i'm working on my seq currently and in the meantime, i'm planning out a second midibox to complement it.  please tell me if my idea is possible, and if i would need to code anything to get it done.

i would like to build an ableton live controller.  not the 2 track, crossfading dj type, but one with 8-16 tracks, each with fader and dedicated eq control.  also the standard clip selection buttons and whatever else would be on it as well.  i understand this is possible, but here is what i want in addition:

i'd like to have a couple 2x40 lcd displays, each with two rows of 8 rotary encoders beneath it, giving me a total of 32 assignable knobs.  i'd like the lcd to display the name of the parameter each knob is set up to control (allowing me to input that information and save it as a setup of some kind).  the first row of each display would give me parameter names for the first row of (16 total) knobs, and the second row on the lcd for the second row of knobs.

it would be great to have a visual for each knob, telling me if i've assigned cutoff, pitch, or whatever else to each encoder.  as a bonus, perhaps it could display the current cc value as i'm turning the knob, then revert back to the name of the paramter.

is any of this possible?

dreambox.gif

ok this has half as many knobs as i described, but it allows 10 characters (on a 2x40 lcd) name for each parameter.  this is supposed to be two lcds side by side like a seq.  perhaps have 2-3 rows of this for more control :). 

the knob that's in white is being turned, showing the value on the lcd in the corresponding position.  after a second, the parameter name can return

i can dream, right?

• 7 months later...