Illuminated buttons for my Sequoia

Sasha

I am making illuminated buttons for my sequencer (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/106/281135266_8fbc2b13d2.jpg) based on same technique I already described here: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=4322.0

There are few other people from community using same technique for their buttons. Here some more pics that might currage others to trie it. I must say that finished button looks much better in real because camera shows yellow the part of button that is brightest. Colour of button`s light is orange.

IMG_0127.jpg

This is how raw buttons looks like after laser cutting/engraving. It seams perfect from distance but If you are perfectionist like myself and look closer you won`t like it`s unfinish look.

IMG_0155.jpg

As laser goes trough material and melt acrylic, it leaves small vertical marks. Other result of any kind cutting is sharp edges which needs to be rounded with fine sandpaper so buttons feels smooth and nice to touch.

IMG_0151.jpg

Buttons engravings is much more visible if filled with paint. I use acrylic paint. As it is same material as button it should stick well enough, and it is easy to sanded away.

IMG_0123.jpg

Another part I lasercut is LED spacer/holder. This is needed to keep LED on sertain distance from front button part so spotlight can illuminate whole surface of button. Also, same spacer transfer the pressure to button mounted on PCB.

grupa.jpg

Most boring and dificult part of this illuminated button fabrication was prepearing the diodes. As SMD LEDs are pretty expensive, and perfect for this job, I needed to trim down regular 5mm LEDs to fit into the spacer. First I shorten the diode with cutters and than them sanded the top and skirt to make it as small as I can. Sure, I can use bigger spacer, but that will increase overall button length.

One more from flickr...

372092474_4ec2e2a6c0.jpg

Thank you all

@ultra

I wanted to have one too from the moment I saw one. I dont think it is very expensive. To me, yes. But I see people spend much more money on car. This particular machine is bought in US for 15,000$ and transport to Serbia costed 1000$. This is very eficient machine. You can do zilion different things on it if you have Idea. This guy even make 3D wooden Icons.

I cut my Extreme Torture puzzles with this machine

@bill

here are few more shots for you from cutting session.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

This puzzle I make of same type of acrylic (but thicker) I use for these illuminated buttons. My favourite one ;)

187968341_15db256ccb.jpg

And few variations:

187968340_bfc883a54f_t.jpg171147169_4d4b7d1d03_t.jpg171147170_38770e9343_t.jpg171147171_7d1ea631b8_t.jpg171147172_e321676d8a_t.jpg

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I also seen that today and I wasn`t inspired to bargain anymore. I tried to publish few times on pretty good internet connection and publishing process was awfully slow!  ???

By the way, the guy that cuts all that things for me actually ordered laser cutter from America. It cost him $15000 + $1000 for transport as he needed to pay whole cargo container as he said...