Juno 60 MIDIfication

Sasha

I bought Roland Juno 60 some time ago at local fleamarket, but I am all in MIDI, so I vould like to be able to control it from MB SEQ. I am confused about only one "in" that could be CV but it is marked as VCF controll. Is that a same thing? Can I play notes from the sequencer connected to VCF control imput of juno, or it is just imput for filters. I`ve seen on the web MIDI to CV converter for Juno 60 so it must be the truth. I searched the forum about VCF and VCA, but I still dont understan it quite well.

As you can see on the image there is no CV or GATE IN

Roland%20Juno-60%20back%20panel.JPG

hi,

CV means Control Voltage

VCF means Voltage Controlled Filter (so the VCF input is a CV input that drive the filter frequency)

VCO means

VCA means Voltage Controlled Amplifier, so a VCA is a circuit with one input for your audio signal (and one output, of course) and another input on which you can apply a voltage to drive the amount of gain that will be applied to your audio signal

Can I play notes from the sequencer connected to VCF control imput of juno

no, Gate signal are simple pulse, CV are continuous voltage..

a MIDI to CV converter simply transform the digital signal comin from an MIDI device into an analog signal.. The MIDIbox CV does that well...but

As we can see, your Juno only support a CV for the filter freq...so if you want to drive the pitch (note) and the gate, you will be obliged to open your device, then do mods in the circuits...hard work...

But to trigg the note (gate), i think that could be done more easyly, as your juno have a keyboard, take a look to the thread here about Organ midification..

what is written above the input between "pedal hold" and "analog(?) clok in" , what I read is "pitch shift" but i'm not sure...maybe it is an input to drive the Pitch with a CV...

Hello Moxi, thanks for the reply. I see now I already understood it, but as I knew juno 60 can be controllerd over CV tought that VCF must be the same thing. Finaly I fount out that strange connector on the left is some DCB - Digital Communication Bus which needs special interface to convert CV and Gate.  :-\ That interfaces are extremly expensive comparing to my 100 EUR Juno (not the one on picture).

The input jacks at the back reads:

TAPE (load, save)|ARPEGGIO CLOCK IN|PATCH SHIFT|PELAD HOLD|VCF CONTROL|PHONES...

I tought about midification of keys, but I tought it is not very elegant solution. I am gona check that tread about organ midification to see what I have to do. Thanks again Moxi.

Man, for £125+shipping and other importing costs... it is too much for me. I`d rather MIDIfy JUNOs keys. I don`t belive it is good idea to pay that money just to MIDIfy 100EUR sinth. It simply dont worth it. I need to restore all the pots from the Juno (gonna use rotary pots), and I am planing to integrate sequencer and take out the keyboard as all keys don`t work, and some are burned with cigarett. So I am planing ro recycle Juno into something else, but MIDI. To bad I cannot restore the keys, they are quite big and nice to play.

I have schematics for the Juno. Unfortunatley only for the Juno 6 (no DCB) and the Juno 106 (MIDIfied)

The Juno is one of my alltime favorite Synth, I had also a Juno 60 but it was to expensive to MIDIfy so I bougth an Juno 106 wich is very well MIDI controllable.

I think the Kenton box is the cheapest way for MIDI control. But The Kenton DCB can only provide Note ON/OFF and Programm change. Parameter control over MIDI is not possible with Kenton. So If you would like to have Juno 106 like control even with DIY you will spend much more then a used Juno 106 cost.

btw. If you would sell it, Im your man  ::)

e-toy

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Sasha

This is what you need - and there are PDF's on the page with notes on the operation of BCD and some circuits. The unit is made in Poland, so might be a bit lighter on carriage.

http://www.chd-el.cz/index.php?id=312&lngid=en

It is a 'full deal' controller too, unlike the rather basic Kenton. It even has a VCF output for filter sweeps.

I don't know how 142 euro sounds to you - it doesn't seem a lot to me for what they are selling. I'll have to get sorted on my puzzle buying!

HTH

Mike

• 4 weeks later...