MIDIbox of the Week (MIDIbox64E of hexman)

hexman

I FINALLY got my midibox 64E done!  Took a long time, lots of work but worth it.  Thanks to SmashTV and TK for their help troubleshooting my bootloader loss.

midibox1small.jpg

I have it connected to Sonar controlling Dimension Pro and Rapture.  Nice!  Hope to get it working with ACT soon.

Great work Hexman! 

But I have to ask (and tease), who is this Tim guy?  ;D

I know I'm quite scattered, but I did not realize my alter ego was helping out around here....guess I need to find/pay/load him up with more work.....  ;D

Just pokin' at ya Hex, I'm sure I mistyped something to give you the wrong impression.  If not, it's definitely time for me to "rest" spin.gif

Tim aka SmashTV

realy nice!

just a hint:

you can center the screen, check for that in your main.asm file:

; with following settings it is possible to center the screen on 2x20 and 2x40 LCDs

; see also the functional description of MIOS_LCD_YAddressSet

; recommented values:

; 2x16 | 2x20 | 4x20 | Comments

; -----+------+------+----------

#define DEFAULT_YOFFSET_LINE0 0x00 ; 0x00 | 0x02 | 0x42 | cursor pos: 0x00-0x0f

#define DEFAULT_YOFFSET_LINE1 0x40 ; 0x40 | 0x42 | 0x16 | cursor pos: 0x40-0x4f

#define DEFAULT_YOFFSET_LINE2 0x14 ; 0x14 | 0x16 | 0x02 | cursor pos: 0x80-0x8f (not used yet)

#define DEFAULT_YOFFSET_LINE3 0x54 ; 0x54 | 0x56 | 0x56 | cursor pos: 0xc0-0xcf (not used yet)

really nice...

Nice :) it looks like a sprayed DIY panel, but how'd you get the round edges around the LED holes? Looks good.

Nice choice of knobs, I have a few hundred of those beveled top ones, and a dozen matching jogs and a few dozen pointers...

$5 a pop in Australia by the time they were shipped..ouch! Worth every cent though, they're my favourite knob, I remembered them from my days as a training pilot, and when I saw them for sale I just had to get some :) The jogwheels are US$78 though, for one knob OMG!... That's nothing though, the matching switches are US$20 each... ouch!!

They look really nice with some silver to offset them, I'm using the switches, but I like the effect of the two knobs like that. Just for bragging rights, those are as used in the M1 Abrams Tank and the B52 bomber, among a few dozen other fancy destructive machines.  ;D

Thanks for all the nice comments!  Besides being a really fun and useful project, it's always fun to post your work for comments! 

As for some of the questions:  The box and panel were all "homemade"  - the front panel is 1/16" thick aluminum, machined out and much careful filing for the LCD panel.  I have a counter sink bit I use to round off \ bevel the LED and button holes.  Tactile switches are just the MOUSER ones and MOUSER buttons.  Im using the large ones for my transport control in SONAR.  Works really nice, and SONAR's ACT makes it REALLY easy to set up since you can basically map anything as a MIDI learn.    I have most of the buttons for markers, transport, mute, etc.  The top two rows of the encoders map to Dimension PRO and Rapture (both have midi learn).  Still have to figure out how to program to get the LEDs on the tranport to on/off with a button push... 

The knobs are what kept me from posting for a long time!  I searched and finally found (the two rows on the top 12 knobs) on eBay for 0.20 each!  Very nice quality, and I didnt spend a fortune.