MIDIbox MIR

ilmenator

Hello everybody,

WARNING: this is not really about a new MIDIbox project already under way, but it might come in handy for some of you - I'll explain.

Recently I found out that there is one guy at ebay selling MIR MIDI controllers very cheap: around 20,- Euros. If you don't know what a MIR controller is, look here: http://www.mircontrol.com/

Well, I bought me one, but the setup is really really difficult. It comes with windows software, but still... I have been doing MIDIboxes for a number of years now, so that concept of setting up things is more familiar to me  ;). Out of curiosity I opened the MIR - to find out that there is a PIC16F877 inside. So.... it should be possible to get MIOS running on that thingy and make it a 'real' controller, but with the design and case that is really cute and practical.

Right now I have no time to actually try this out, but in summer I will do a number of experiments and see what needs to be changed to get MIOS running on this little machine. I'm rather confident that the changes will be minimal. So, grab those MIRs from ebay while you can  ;D

(No, I am not affiliated in any way with the seller...  8))

There is even some battery-buffered SRAM (HY628100B) on that thing! Plus two encoders with button, plus one analog pot!

Best regards, ilmenator

mir_1.JPG

mir_2.JPG

mir_3.JPG

mir_4.JPG

Well,

you can have the components that you need for an MBHP project all assembled in a case with a backlit LCD, two encoders with integrated buttons, one analog pot, and five buttons for menu structure purposes (or whatever), plus the power supply for cheap. Now go calculate what you would spend on parts alone to build this thing...

Of course, if you are into hardware, soldering, making your own boards and case, then this is probably not for you. But if you are more into software, then this is a simple way around the "how to build my hardware" problem - at least potentially, as the proof of concept is still missing  ;). It is not tried yet - but I do have sources which make me believe it should not be a great effort to make MIOS run on these units.  ;D

Best regards, ilmenator

Eastheticaly it is also not something special

uh, yeah, especially the website(s)  :-X :-\

seldomly seen such ugly pages these days... to be honest, I'm not wondering why they (have to?) sell it so cheap...

(with regards, I'm only referring to the design not to technical aspects ;) )

Cheers,

Michael

Today seams everybody making MIDI controllers. I think they are not thinking much about potential buyers. I think if you making something like MIDI controller, it must looks great or have great spec.

IMO the one of the most unpractical, unergonomic and extremly UNCOOL controllers ever is this MIDI Gun. I see that inspiration came from one of the Prince`s videos (microphone gun) wich have some meaning but this... ???

midigun.jpg

IMO the one of the most unpractical, unergonomic and extremly UNCOOL controllers ever is this MIDI Gun. I see that inspiration came from one of the Prince`s videos (microphone gun) wich have some meaning but this... Huh

no! it's a great thing , imagine all army of the word with such a thing in the hand and some Synth in their package... Tioo-Tioo - you're dead! -ok!, I go back to home.........!