Total newbie question (sorry!) Midifying Yamaha minikeys

translucencecs

Hi peeps!

Sorry for what seems to be yet ANOTHER total novice question.

I have a Yamaha PSS-140 and I want to retrofit it with MIDI. I have almost no clue where to start, although I AM a dab hand with a soldering iron and actually have a pretty good background in analogue electronics.

I get the impression that MIDIBox could be a good way to start on this but although on reading through this forum quickly, I've seen references to discussions on things that may be relevant, I didn't find the discussions referred to.

Could someone possibly help me out with where I should start, please? Also, if there's an item or discussion relevant to this, could someone point me at a link to it?

Thanks SO much for any help...

BTW - the extent of my MIDI requirements for this keyboard are (A) the ability to play up to 8 notes at once via MIDI, and (B) the ability to change the PSS-140's MIDI channel. I don't need program change, velocity or anything more complicated than just note on/off!

I only want it to receive MIDI, so I can drive it from my MMT-8 sequencers, and I have no real desire to replace any of the existing electronics - just add some kind of interception to the keyboard, so that the MIDI produces note on/off in the same way the keys do.

Shouldn't be anything too advanced, as far as I can tell... The only real complication is that it's a digital (2-op FM) poly keyboard instead of an analogue mono, so chords can be played. (i.e. the CV/gate option is not available)