MBDrumSEQ!

moogah

Ok, now that my 808 clone is actually complete I've finally got a little bit of bandwidh open for other projects.  The first of which is going to be to take what I've learned while making the 808 happen and use that to come up with an alternate build process and specialized application for creating a drum sequencer with the standard MB modules.  My focus here will be on streamlining the current SEQ application and interface at the beginning but in code to provide a lead in for the possibility of making multi-line/32-step/gizmo and gadget sequencers as discussed in the x0x seq thread.  I will possibly propose an "standard" faceplade for a MBDrumSeq to bring it inline with the other projects. 

Hardware wise the changes are pretty simple.  You will need the same parts used for the normal SEQ, but only 2 encoders are required in my current layout.  Of course more can be added, and there isn't a technical limitation to using all 16 GP encoders.  However, my implementation of the software does not require the use of an LCD screen and encoders to modify parameters, they are simply optional.  I based my decisions on my normal workflow with x0x style boxes where quick and intuitive access to parameters is the primary objective.  Since the 808 and 909 provide such a good example of being able to accomplish great musical results with only a few parameters to control they will be my model for the software (909 in particular). 

In the initial release of the software I will have these features ready:

- 16 step editing (duh)

- Track/Layer selection using the GP's (drum mode by default?)

- Patten select/save without needing LCD

- Individual mutes per layer for drum mode

- Normal mutes to select which of the 4 patterns is playing

- Dedicated tempo knob

Many of these changes are already done and used for the 808, but for that application I decided to keep things as simple and true to the original as possible.  I had enough work to do with the CAD work and testing the analog circuits!  As I get more time to work on it I will bring an 808 like A/B pattern switching feature into the mix and pattern chaining through song mode.  As many of the features of the standard SEQ will be implemented without needing the GP encoders.  Pattern morphing will be cool too  ;)

Now, I'm not totally sure that using drum mode is the way to go, so this might change.  However, it does seem that loosing the independant flam value is worth the gain of being able to sequence multiple devices in a centralized manner.