Basic questions

dvidos

Hello all,

I tried the search function of the forum, but could get an answer to my questions.

What i want to make is a midi controller for a software lighting console. My questions are:

1. Does the DIN module send NoteOn message when i press a switch and a NoteOff when i release it?

2. How many switches can be pressed simultaneously?

3. In order for the leds in a DOUT module to work, can the application send a NoteOn message to light a led and a NoteOff to put it out?

4. When i move a fader or pot connected to the AIN module, i presume i will receive a NoteOn message with the value 0..127. is this correct ?

I have a feeling all the above are configurable, but i cannot understand how. The thing i will be downloading to the PIC, is this the one that configures all the above? Does it support my setup?

Finally, i do not plan to have an LCD, nor a BankStick module. Will i be able to configure things without and LCD? Will the configuration be preserved when i power off the controller and then back on?

Thank you in advance,

Dimitris.

Thanks stryd!

How many fingers do you have?

Well, let's see... six in each hand... count the two noses too...;D  No seriously, there is a limit for PC keyboards to, say, 8 keys. i was wondering if there is a limit here as well.

All of these things can be configured (...) and programming skills in C or ASM

That means i have to write code for the PIC? Not that i mind, just never done it before. I thought i could configure all these without code...

Well, thanks again.

If i make the lighting controller i will post images and construction.

Just curious,  what soft console are you using?

Another consideration: DMX is 8 bit, MIDI is 7 bit, so you will lose some control resolution.....But in practice this is not much of an issue for anything that does not need very precise positioning.  (in other words you don't want to try to focus a multi-fixture Catalyst projection rig via MIDI, but on a small stage/low trim height you won't miss the extra bit on your automated cans)

Best

Smash

Just curious,  what soft console are you using?

I have not settled to only one.

For theater i have: Open DMX Theater, Lights Up, StageConsole.

For concerts, parties and events i tried MagicQ, FreeStyler and a few others that do not support the Enttec widget i have.

Apart from all the above, i am seriously thinking of writing my own software. I have most of the important bits down (tracking changes, submasters, LTP/HTP, effects engine, palettes, freezing timers, fanning etc). It will be similar to HogPC and LightFactory.

So...

Having found an old AT keyboard with real switches for keys (not a membrane), i plan to arrange the keys into a small console. Something similar to the Playback Wing of the WholeHog. (large image)

I havent decided if i will go for a keyboard interface or a MIDI one. The latter brought me here posting this thread.

Midi will be expensive but could also control other applications (Live, Cubase etc), but keyboard will be quite cheap.

DMX is 8 bit, MIDI is 7 bit, so you will lose some control resolution.

Yes, you are right. But faders shall be used for intensity (where the range 0..100 is satisfactory) and for timing. For fine adjustment of two-bytes value, a fader with a shift-style button could be used for the high byte of the value, but i do not think i will include it.

Has anyone here built something similar?