ive got two 50mm fans in my midi-box/pc its not a problem at gigs or out side

but ive just come in doors and they are to noisey especially when recording

the ideas ive had are

a) isolating them mounting on cork or something 

b) buying  some quieter fans difficult in the smaller sizes

c) adding speed control so i could turn them down when recording

d) making the cpu watercooled

i just wonderd if anybody has some ideas thanks

There are a lot of "low-noise" designs out there. Just try a little google search on this phrase. Papst fans are known to be pretty low-noise and many providers of hardware stuff give you the dB noise amount of the fans in their cataloges.

a) doesn´t change to much in 90%

b) YUP! Although difficult, that´s right

c)  :-\ :-\ :-\

d) the prime super solution - although the most expensive one

Thought about bringing in one big fan (100 mm) instead of two small ones? Perhaps you can drill the case up for that? That would really bring down the noise.

Greetz!

thanks for the input

your right one big fan would be a lot better but unfortunately the case is made they are mounted on the sides which are only 60mm high one sucks and the other blows 

creating flow thru they do a good job

i want to save the liquid cooling for the next one as it would be a major rebuild

so it looks like coughing up for the "quiet fans"  and hoping they are better i suppose

some new fans and isolating them might work

kris [img]

905_IMG_4621_jpg6ad40775654aed3f55dbf01b

screaming_rab

im not shure i understand what you mean  could post a pic explain a bit more

... sorry, didn't read your post good enough. On the pic I see now, that you haven't been talking about a PC-case but about fans, which are directly built into your controller.

... just forget, what I wrote. :-X

Greets, Roger

i'm guessing he means a passively cooled PC (i.e. heatsinks but no fans).

Have you got some clever heatpipe arrangement running to the rack and using that as heatsink in mind?

if so, please do share....

No, I really ment a silent rack to mount a PC into it.

http://www.cmlshop.de/studioneu11/index.html?lang=de&target=d83.html&lmd=39123.438657

But to talk about my SequoiaController MidiBox project: Yes I use a passively cooled microATX board with a mobile core2 duo cpu, a passively cooled ASUS graphics card, heatsink-frame for the HD etc.

For the Silentrack I'm building, I'll make some pix this weekend and post them when I find time.

Greets, Roger

yea whats the micro atx board your using intel core duo

i run a micro atx in my box but its an amd athlon 2.2  but its still got a normal heatsink and fan although low profile maybe if i could passively cool it i wouldnt need

the fans on the sides  come on do spill the beans

kris

Watercooling isn't always as quiet as people seem to think. You might not have any fans any more, but some of those water pumps are pretty loud. Your best bet I'd reckon is to look at some of the stuff Zalman make - be warned tho, if you passively cool your processor you'll need a lot of airflow across the heatsink, which may mean you have to keep the noisy fans on the sides anyway  :'(

You say you have two fans, one for inlet, one for exhaust?

Does this mean you have some nifty heat tunnel design?

If so, would it be possible to place the fan or fans in the centre of the duct?

I also saw mention of peltier effect devices... these take a fair whack of power, but could be helpful...?

hey

no i dont have any ducting there is a picture on the forum in midi-box of the week if you want to have a look

ive even thought about maybe junking the pc board and buying a mini mac to put in there

anyway any input is allways graciusly received

kris

If your new fans give you a fair amount of airflow over the mainboard, I'd still recommend looking at zalman - if the CPU's not a really hot one you can get a copper heatsink that should cool things real quietly. Or, you could try getting a larger CPU fan, like an 80 or 120mm if there's space - you can get wide, flat heatsinks that'll let you fit a big fan. The idea there is that a large fan can shift the same amount of air as a smaller one, while spinning slower so it produces less heat.

yea the zalman stuff is pretty good they do low profile as well which i need as the space is only 60mm tall with switches and wiring cutting into that space is really at a premium anyway i seem to have sorted it for now

still keep thinking maybe a rebuild convert to mac oh well ill see

kris