Picodore 64

waveformer

what amazes me is that the case is built from wood!

The DTV is not actually an emulation. It is in fact, a full original (on the inside [of that silicone chip]) C64.

All custom chips, the original CPU core, the SID, and the boot room are all built onto one chip. (FPGA?)

So, many hacks are available that when all combined, restore all the original ports, their pins and functionality. You can even attach an original C= disk drive or C= printer!  I think the only thing keeping you from using your original tape drive would be the analog support circuits. (the data pins are there!)

A bit of of joystick jiggle on powerup boots to the usual C64 screen rather than loading the 'cartridge' file game burned into the chip.

In fact, this 'feature' is only possible because of a ported flaw from the original hardware, where if you had a cart installed, and powered up, you could skip cart loading with the right combination of powertoggles/button presses/joystick wigglies.. I dont remember exactly how, but I did remember doing it once on a REAL C64 and that trash of a game moon lander.

The main problem of those C64 DTV, is that the soundchip is not as good as a real SID Chip  :(

(if i remember well, the filters are missing)

Likely that. They had some issues with the colors being dull and washy at first too. The hacker community quickly came up with the filter fix for that, so likely there is a fix for the sound?  I dunno.

I doubt you have direct access to the recreated sid chip lines either. They are buried somewhere down in the silicone.  With Digital its pretty easy to replicate in an FPGA.. but the sid had some analog circuits inside, which cant be recreated.