A midicontroller in my guitar !!!

Yannovitch

yes go for it, i ve also dreamed of wifi on my guitars and there are almost ready to use usb wifi chip, very small and low power consuming.I have also to say that i always use my laptop with the guitar so i need to be nearby the screen so no really need for wifi for the moment

cheers

simone

Hi all,

USB WiFi is an option but then you'll have to implement a USB host on the guitar side (actually on the other side as well as you don't want to have a PC all the time). Usually the PC is playing the role of host but I've seen at Cypress some USB host chips that look like intended to do these kind of things. What I'm wondering is if you need some really powerful CPUs (like XScales, ARM9e and the likes) next to it to run it.

At least using already made stuff like a WiFi USB key would free you from the HF part design which is apparently a very complicated matter requiring real experience in the field.

Best regards,

Lall

Hello,

What I'm wondering is if you need some really powerful CPUs (like XScales, ARM9e and the likes) next to it to run it.

Fortunately not. I don't know if you have this magazine in your country, but we have in the Elektor magazine of this month an example of USB which need normal AVR chip to run it http://www.elektor.fr/default.aspx?tabid=29&forumid=13&postid=5594&view=topic.

My project take a new turn :

I've found in the city of my school ( Mulhouse in Alsace in France ) an association who concentrate of the Linux embedded.

http://www.armadeus.org/ .

It run on ARM9 and Spartian FPGA . They have written some driver - a wifi driver is in project :) - and a community is created around this project.

I've written to know if I can do AVR32 too, because the AVR32 is not really far in the conception of the iMX200 (ARM9).

If we can find a compromise, i think i will agree to this community, it will maybe accelerate the guitar project :)

Hi Yann,

You have to watch out that the USB is highly assymetric in the things that are done on the PC side and on the other side. There's a huge difference between a USB host and a USB peripheral.

It looks like the Elektor of this month is looking at how to make a USB peripheral with an AVR (or do what the Cypress EZ-USB does in a way).

If you want to have a host on your guitar so that you're able to connect off-the-shelve WiFi USB key, you'll need to have a USB host on your guitar (apparently Cypress EZ-Host is doing that).

Best regards,

Lall

Couple of thoughts:

Have a look for the guy who built a Korg Kaoss Pad into his guitar.  The touchscreen is in the guitar and the rest of the Kaoss Pad is external, but it's worth checking out as an idea.

If you want total control of your effects, you might want to check out Shifty's Death Synth - a homebrew DSP synth/FX based on an Analogue Devices DSP, with MIDI or serial control, and user-written DSP patches.

Wireless MIDI:  CME also make some (cheap?  maybe)

Yep, A Midibox guru is in the place !! :D

Thank you for your idea.

The Shifty's Death Synth can make very interesting sounds :) ...

Yeah, it's the Korg Kaoss Pad built into the Matthew Bellamy Guitar which have given to me the idea of having a touchscreen interface for my guitar :)

Concerning the Wireless Midi, even if it's - maybe - more complicated, I prefer to have an inside built wifi interface, because a wifi driver is in the writing process for the uclinux for arm & cie ... So I will use this ... And imagine, with a usb key, if I want to jump with my guitar, op, the USB is unclipsed and no sound - oops :)

Now I know what I want, after one day to compare and search, I will join the association near to my home, and use an ARM9 processor with linux embedded, not an AVR32, because we can find more things for ARM than for AVR32 and I've not enough time to developp myself all what I want to do.

My question now is : has anyone tried to use an ARM instead of a PIC for the midibox ?

Have you some onboard wireless chip to recommend ?

• 2 weeks later...