Removing SID chips

euphoricgrey

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo..... 2 things. 1> I got my first C64 in and I need to take out the sid 6581 but....... it's directly soldered the board, I thought it would be in a IC holder so... how do I take it out without messing up the chip?

and 2>Do I need a power supply for each sid used or...just 1 solid one ? THANKS!!!!!!!

Personally, i'd look for another C64 and keep the one you have (or sell it). With 24 pins, it's unlikely that you'll get the SID out without damaging it, besides soldered in SID's are rare ;)

I'd suggest keep the one you have and buy another C64 and a copy of Prophet64 from prophet64.com

You've got to be kidding me....  so all the SID"s you guys are using.. have a socket connector that the pins go into which is then soldered to the board?

I'm going to try and get it out... I'm thinking taking a dremel around the board at the sides of the sid then try to take off the pcb attached to each pin with pliers and carefully placed soldering iron. I'm scared already geting into the midibox sid...lol. I"ll keepyaz posted. Thankx! :)

Sometimes I think old solder need to get hotter than new one to get fluid. Don't know if this could cause problems. dremeling around the pins and taking them off one after another is the best idea to get it out in a safe way I think.