Put Waveblaster daughter board (Yamaha DB50XG) in a box?

SeverityOne

Mike

Thanks for the explanation! I've already ordered 6N138, now waiting for it. And, another question - R3 and R4, 220 Ohm both, why not to use just one, e.g. 440 Ohm?

BTW, what current does MIDI current loop use, 20 mA or 10 mA?

reboot

good job! Sounds nice.

I don't understand your question, R3 and R4 are not on the same pin (R3 on pin4 is supply and R4 on pin5 is signal).

Consider that X3 is a Midi Thru port, is not necessary to play, it's for another Midi apparate that use the same played Midi Input.

Current of midi loop I've never measured, but as i mentioned in last post midi signal is elaborate to ZERO Volt; important is frequency of signal, but for technical detail I suggest you a google search.

If you make a search on the web, there are three similar project named:

-Popp Meyer MIDImal (german) 1997

-Elektor 1997

-MistralXG (the best-with USB port and not only) 2009 .......... many thanks to Steve that helped and stimolate me!!

P.S. I've tried CN17 and different 6NXXX and for my basic project are all good, the only difference it's speed of commutation - CN it's more slow, but we are speaking of microseconds so don't worry about this.

Mike.

Edited by mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, here's another similar project: http://www.joebrown.org.uk/wp/?p=3124

Beatiful, but web page say that he's spent less of 30€ (25£). True??

To do my project for only pcb I spent 35€ each (and I've must ordered minimum of two pieces).

So, if is there someone that have a web address to build a board more cheap it's appreciate.

I am guessing for that price he made the PCB himself.

A single-sided PCB is fairly easy to make yourself but you will need the equipment to do it. These will include copper clad board, some sort of etch-resist, and an etchant solution.

You can get some quite good results but they won't have that professional look!

Cheers

Phil

Look, here's another similar project: http://www.joebrown.org.uk/wp/?p=3124

I've looked better project and I' think there a little error becaude pin 8 of wave connector is cabled in a connector for midi out with ground.

I think must be connected with +5V to give a correct signal to an external midi device.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

I don't have a DB60XG so discussion it's only academic.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I read with interest the comments above on stand-alone MIDI synth using Yamaha daughterboard. To answer a couple of comments:

1. Yes, it's a home-made PCB. These days I can make one in less than 30 minutes, once the schematic/track is laid down in Eagle. Naturally, I don't reflect the time spent in terms of price in my estimate for the total cost of my project. For those who haven't had a go yet, I urge you to try - pick a simple project and use one of those 'boil-in-a-bag' etch solutions to start with. Once you get hooked, then you can lash out and buy a bubbler tank etc.

2. The MIDI OUT connection on the Yamaha card (pin 8) is not used in my design, but I always tend to take potential future use into account. The last comment mentions that the connection should go via a resistor and the MIDI loop to a resistor tied to +5v and this is quite correct. I tend to sprinkle extra GND and power points on my PCB's these days, because I found that I tended to forget stuff and ended up having to solder GND connections directly to the foil on the PCB. The juxtaposition of a GND connection to the MIDI OUT pin is just sloppy on my part!

I urge anyone considering hooking up a Yamaha board in a similar way to go ahead. I was so pleased with the result, I ordered another board and built a second unit. The sound of two units in parallel is absolutely awesome.

Regards from Joe.

Ref article: http://www.joebrown.org.uk/wp/?p=3124 Make a Yamaha Synth for less than £25.00

I think it should be doable to make a Wavetable Module. Which would fit into the modular Midibox Family.

If you would team this module up with a Core8 and Midibox64 firmware, it should be possible to send QS300 mode to the DBXG50 through a button for instance.

I think it should be doable to make a Wavetable Module. Which would fit into the modular Midibox Family.

If you would team this module up with a Core8 and Midibox64 firmware, it should be possible to send QS300 mode to the DBXG50 through a button for instance.

I made a quick schematic which should fit the bill.

JP6=5VDC

JP7=+12VDC + -12VDC

JP11=MIDI IN (TTL)

midibox-waveblaster.png

Any comments are welcome.

Edited by Shuriken

• 1 year later...

post-10387-0-99726600-1323942338_thumb.jpost-10387-0-30365100-1323942350_thumb.jpost-10387-0-81068600-1323942383_thumb.jpost-10387-0-49988900-1323942402_thumb.jpost-10387-0-51239500-1323942417_thumb.j

oups!!!

Hello Raoulblues

Here is the original project and more project I bilt around DB50 & clone

Projet 1 QS300 editor

Project 2 name "Midinight" QS300 multi canal preset loader and more ( 6*128 QS300 sound on bankstick )

projet 3 Split keyboard with DB50 inside ( 6*128 QS300 sound on bankstick ) and many midi control

projet 4 name " Milky " Five DB50 in one box with routuer 5*5 ( 37 * 128 = 4736 QS300 sound ) preset sender

Please dont' send more about my project before the are finised ...

Best regards

• 1 month later...

Hello Km2301

XG gold manage QVB files with are difficult to read

But in Xggold there is a QSbankloader.

You can then transmit the le bank to the midi port

and get it like a sysex in a program like midiox

Sysex is in the form describe in DB 50 manual

( sorry for my english y am french )

Best regard

Milky

Hello Translation is a little bit difficult to understand

Raoulblues , few month ago , publish one of my earlier project with is a QS300 sound editor on midibox hardward.

This is only a project , with actually many bug .

the objet of the project was only to see if it possible to do it.

If you are a good programmer , you can do it.

Unfortunatibly, i have no time to complete a reel full running project.

Only for the fun...

Best regards

• 1 month later...

I'm just finishing a box with the XG60 (NEC clone) based on the MistralXG project (with PIC18F2550, USB). My mods:

- The audio output from the card is quite noisy, so I bypass the original DAC on the XG board. I connected the PCM data lines to a small board with PCM1754 DAC with very good result.

- Audio input with opamp buffers to the XG60

- Modified Midi routing circuit

- SW mod for the PIC (routing, flash for patches, mode selection, instrument selection etc.)

Current state:

HW is almost ready and working. SW is under dev.

Good ..... but it's possible see your project? I'm courious specially regarding your solution noise of nec card.

Thanks, Mike

I'm just finishing a box with the XG60 (NEC clone) based on the MistralXG project (with PIC18F2550, USB). My mods:

- The audio output from the card is quite noisy, so I bypass the original DAC on the XG board. I connected the PCM data lines to a small board with PCM1754 DAC with very good result.

- Audio input with opamp buffers to the XG60

- Modified Midi routing circuit

- SW mod for the PIC (routing, flash for patches, mode selection, instrument selection etc.)

Current state:

HW is almost ready and working. SW is under dev.