PC Midi Interface

ThoR

well, not really shure if this is the correct place to post this, i've just bought a new PC (had to update the old one :P) and couldn't find any that came with the good old joystick port T_T

i just want to know if any of the USB to MIDI dongles out there works with midibox or there are limitations / exeption / etc.

thanks in advance

well, it's onboard SBLive 24-bit soundcard, so it has no gameport T_T (haven't seen those in a while). my question was about something i read on the forums about EUSART MIDI ports. i just don't want to spend 50$ on something i'll have to trow away (plus didn't even build the midibox yet, i started to make a checklist of "what do i need to buy" and noticed lack of MIDI port on the pc xD)

Thanks in advance

I don't know what the EUSART MIDI is about, but if you just want to add one or two midi ports to your PC, I can also recommend the midisport 2x2! Worked with one for a couple of years, and it never let me down ;) (upgraded to a midisport 4x4 lately since I needed more in/out)

If you search a bit, you could be able to get one second hand quite cheap

Thorsten "timing tested" a few a while back IIRC, and indeed it did get one of the worst ratings. I actually have one myself, which has done OK, but it usually only does controller stuff, so I can't comment on it's timing. I've also seen it disappear a few times (used to do it a lot on the Mac), but there's probably too many sources for that to blame the MIDISport drivers.

Always wished there was more DIY MIDI i/o available, especially post 2K/XP. :'(

George

PS@ThoR- I think dj3nk may have been referring to internal connections(?). Sometimes the built-in circuits will have dual row headers inside where you can connect for stuff like MIDI/SPDIF/ or for front panel ports on your case, even though the port isn't built into the board. You could also maybe use a cheap PCI card, just for the MIDI/game port (assuming you're desktop) and disable the sound device.

Well, you can buy the gameport / joystick / midi / whatever-you-want-to-call-it from creative if you have an SB Live or audigy - that's what I had to do. Basically it's a 15-pin socket on a ribbon cable hooked up to an IDC plug. I bought mine direct from creative, but it looks fairly simple to make your own and stick it through an old PCI backplate.

We could probably use the LTC module for RS232 to the PC , or a parllel interface, and a bunch of IIC_midi to make a really awesome MIDI interface... It's finding someone to write the driver.

I wonder if anyone would know what it would cost to pay someone to write them?

Im just tryin to guess:

1. there are open source java OSC servers , one should customize to use mainboard ports or the ones on low cost PCI(x) expansion.

This would eventually secure the whole thing, cause a normal OSC server is vulnerable from outside network.

2. this OSC server can forward MIDI from any seq. app. , and its multiplatform too.

3. as well as midi , one has timestamped OSC msg-s with quite low timing uncertainity