Keyboard controller module help?

MetroSonus

Hmm ... I guess my problem is a lack of understanding... What in the DIN module transmits the note values, is it built into the firmware? How would I know which button went to which key? Also is it possible to build a set of octave up / down buttons?

Mainly what I want to do is to create a guitar hero like keyboard controller using momentary switches as keys. Mainly it's so I can play synth basslines live and stuff.

Most of the midibox stuff seems straightforward when it comes to knobs and sliders.. but the keyboard stuff has me baffled..

thanks!

Most of the midibox stuff seems straightforward when it comes to knobs and sliders.. but the keyboard stuff has me baffled..

It's because it's very specific to you own needs, you have to learn how to do that with the midibox, but it's pretty easy, thanks to C.

http://ucapps.de/mios_c.html

The DIN do not transmit note values (but "pin value"), but the core can read it, and send the appropriate value (thanks to your own program)

So let me see if i have this right .. I create a DIN module that gets connected to the 12 switches I want to use as keys. It connects to the other modules as usual, yet the program is custom written to encode activity from the switches into midi note on and off data?

So in theory it should be ok to create a bit of code that would also allow me to change octaves based upon the input of say two particular pins? for up and down?

So i dump the custom code via sysex.. hmm so it's the core that recieves the sysex dump? and there  I specify that pin on DIN module are for note on and off date?

I think I'm getting it...

Bingo! ;)

There is a C based programming example for sending note values which should be a good basis. If you've used C before, it could probably be ready in an hour or two :) All you need to do is specify a variable to add to the note number you send, and increment/decrement it in amounts of 12, to get the octave up/down buttons.

Ok more testing my understanding...

For my keytar project.. I'll need:

1 core module

1 LTC

1 AIN

1 DIN

I'll only need 12 of the 32 availible controllers on the DIN for my 1 octave, and then 2 for the octave shift keys, leaving 18 to either use or not for various other functions. Then I would simply write a code that will say for buttons # 1-12, which note value to output?

The AIN will give me enough pots for cut off / resonance and maybe some effects sends.  Question, I dont know if i'll do this or not, but would it be possible to use an analog joystick in place of two pots? then to just run the outputs of each pot from the stick into the AIN?

It all seems clear except for the code! that'll take some work. I have a bit of experience, but not much. I'm up for a challenge though!

Question, I dont know if i'll do this or not, but would it be possible to use an analog joystick in place of two pots? then to just run the outputs of each pot from the stick into the AIN?

Yes, it's entirely possible as long as the pot values in the stick are compatible with MIOS. (100Kohm linear, correct me if i'm wrong)

That's a DINx4 you mean :)

You don't need the AINx4 if you use encoders instead of pots, which I almost always do personally. A Joystick is two pots, spot on, and you would need the AIN for that.. Not sure why you have the LTC (LED/Thru/COM) module?

You might want an LCD for troubleshooting, and a DOUT if you want any LED's for flashy lights.

The code is a snap :) Have you seen the example app yet?

Edit: Check this out :the becoming of the midibox axe

does the x4 mean anything different ?

I could use rotary encoders to the same effect as pots on the DINx4 (happy? ;D) ?

"Not sure why you have the LTC (LED/Thru/COM) module?"

Midi in / out.. or is that on the core? from the diagram I thought it was a seperate module.

The code *looks* simple, but I allways manage to screw stuff like that up. I took a java class in college and I think we moved way to fast. When I get to that point I'll probabaly need help.

"You might want an LCD for troubleshooting, and a DOUT if you want any LED's for flashy lights."

Good point! and hmm...... Maybbbe.  It's for use live, so everything is going to have to be based off of touch. If I had LEDs they'd be for the benifit of the audience. Do you know of a situation in which they would be handy for troubleshooting?

Also what's the power on the midibox? can it run off batteries?

Also what's the power on the midibox? can it run off batteries?

You can do it. (I do that, using lipo batteries, it work's for hours !!)

I dont remember exactly how much current the core need, but it's pretty low, if you dont use a lcd screen !

Lcd screens take a lot of power !! (relative to the core)

that's awesome. the screen as noted would be for trouble shooting, but not part of the actual usage. Add a wireless midi connection and im rockin!

My goal is to snag one of these off ebay ..

P1010021.JPG

embed the whole thing into that and use it as a live synth controller as well as a controller for Ableton Live. I want to embed a matrix of microswitches so that i can trigger things as well as switch patches on my synths within live.