midibox blog: making of "the massive"

matrigs

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay - big update !!

easter wasn't only the time for celebration and eating but also for my midiboxing. i had the time to go to my friend who is very good with electronics, he repairs actually home-audio-cinema stuff. we were sitting about 2 hours on the box making it reset all the time and we didn't really come to any conclusion at all.

as we didn't have any other ideas what the problem might be (okay - in fact we were sure that it's something aobut powering but whatever) we just exchanged 7805 with a high - 2 amper version and we connected another psu (an identical 500mA 9 volt one) and guess what - works like a charm now !

so i bought myself an expensive, shiny, philips 1200 mA PSU regulated and stabilized, another 7805, a massive radiator and some thermal paste and stuffed everything together into a big powering unit - at last no resets, no problems.

okay so i better go now to stuff the second ain and see if it at last starts to work !

pics soon !

guys it works like a charm now - the high ampre 7805 doesn't even get warm now and the whole big radiator is quite useless now - but i'll leave it because i can imagine that when the case will be closed and sealed and i will play at a sweaty night club it might get hot.

• 2 weeks later...

16.JPG

i'm sorry for letting you wait so long for the new pics.

17.JPG

as you can see, with the time i came to the conclusion that i don't want to have a "straight" desk so i cut the upper part and put it at an angle.

the problem wsa simple - with a desk of those measures it was impossible for me to see anything on the lcd even when i put the box at a high angle. it's much more comfortable now - the only problem would be now that the lower row of encoders came very near the upper last row of potentiometers and that's wuite uncomfortable - but the shafts of the encoders are to long anyway so i will cut it and the problem should be solved.

and now - every professional solders bad dream - the interior

18.JPG

what you can see on the above picture are the faders plus the whole plate for the buttons. instead of making DIN and DOUT modules which would tak more space i soldered the chips of the DIN and DOUT modules onto that great pcb which is holdong the buttons. soldering was a bitch right but it works very fine this way.

19.JPG

the upper part with the potentiometers, the core and the two dins.

and so - the saga continues as i have another great problem with my box - the second AIN. i checked the board a dozen times - used different chips, different configurations and still i have some massive grounding problem. it's surely not the potentiometers itself because i quadruple checked the grounding and even put additional bridges to different grounding points.

it's quite weird - sometimes when i turn a knob it resets the core but i checked again and everything should work fine... very very weird stuff :|