two small questions about pots & knobs.

matrigs

the first question is bout these potentiometers - french radioohm.

p160-100k-lin_t.jpg

the spindle is completely round and slick and has not any hole or drill or anything. so how do knobs hold on to them??

i mean i guess i cannot use a simple knob which i use for my potentiometers which spindle looks like this

pr_dlugi.jpg

and the other question:

these knobs:

g10g-b.jpg

what is the screw for at the top? is it just to calibrate the exact height of the knob or is this specially for the pots with the round spindle to somehow narrow them around them??

please help me with this one - o have to finish my box really soon and have to get the parts for that... and i guess this questions is very simple to someone.

The shafts with no flat edge can have knobs with a set screw, which is a grub screw (no "head") that goes in a hole through the side of the knob.

The second picture is a spline shaft, they can have knobs with matching teeth so you don't need a set screw.

The knobs with screws on the top are called "collet", tightening this screw makes it grip the shaft I think... they might also work with shafts with no flat edge or spline shafts. I have not used them, but I think they have some other metal part that attaches to the shaft.

The knobs with screws on the top are called "collet", tightening this screw makes it grip the shaft I think... they might also work with shafts with no flat edge or spline shafts. I have not used them, but I think they have some other metal part that attaches to the shaft.

... collet-knobs are for round pot-shafts, like Wilba said. They have some brass parts and they "grab" the shaft when the screw gets tightened just like the drill in a drilling machine. This is the most professional but also most expensive solution.

Greets, Roger