a very simple midi-mixer

xenon

hi

ive been thinking about making a small midi-mixer to control basic volume-settings of different apps - like winamp, tv-app, media player classic and mastervolume.... I'll need 5-6 sliders and perhaps a few buttons (not a must at all) - is there any simple/easy way for me to make such a device?

i'd wrater not buy a big board that supports 128 controls when all i need is about 5-10 - but i really dont know what can be bought - plz help me out :D

edit* - btw - i'd prefer it if somehow it could be run through usb instead of midi

Welcome!

A board that converts either Pots, Sliders, or Encoders into MIDI messages would be a great cantidate for the MIDIBox. There are many similar projects that you can look at here and at www.ucapps.de.

As far as a "little" project instead of a "big" one, the MIDIBox platform is modular, so you get to make it as big or as small as you want. Every project requires a "core" module, and that includes the PIC chip, a voltage regulator, and MIDI IN and OUT jacks.

Which modules you add depends on whether you want Analog Inputs,(from pots or sliders) or Digital Inputs for rotary encoders. Each option has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I'm sure there's a discussion about them here somewhere.

If you want to connect by USB instead of MIDI, the best choice right now is to buy a commercial USB to MIDI converter. You should be sure to get one that is multiclient compatible.

Finally, I'm not familiar enough with Windows to tell you if the volume controls for those apps can be reached by MIDI messages. I'm sure that others here will jump in with that information.

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

thx for the link - i'll check it out - nice to know there is something for ppl like me that just want a small midi-device. :D

"Finally, I'm not familiar enough with Windows to tell you if the volume controls for those apps can be reached by MIDI messages. I'm sure that others here will jump in with that information." - with the right soundcard and kx installed u can control volume and fx in ur mixer realtime - pretty sweet I think...