Ableton 6 Midi Remote Scripts

DavidBanner

Can someone please point me in the right direction, I'm having trouble finding any decent info.

Here's what I need to do:

In Ableton 6, I need to get Midi Feedback when I press a button that's midi mapped. This is so I can turn LEDs on and off.

If I use something like the Mackie Control script it's definately possible to do everything I need to, but there is way too much other midi data flying about to make any sense of to do a direct hack. The files for the Mackie control etc are not human readable - any clues how they make 'em?

I need to know how to build a custom Midi Remote Script myself, I don't think the "User Defined" using UserConfiguration.txt one is gonna do it (or will it?), because I need to get to stuff like buttons in VST plug ins (all do-able, but how?)

david,

Live does this "just by itself" for mapped controls since version 5, for version 4 you had to write a special command into a text file, here is the history with robert henkes own reply:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20031&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

just be aware this behavior will change in live 6.06, as there are problems with the note off/note on timing as described in this very recent thread:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58712&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

another thread interesting for you:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47157

I do not know if controls from VST plugins will also feed back some information, but I will try this as soon as my hardware is finished..--)))

hope this helps,

kap.

Cheers for the links - very interesting...

Live does this "just by itself" for mapped controls

That's not actually true (not with the version of 6 I'm running anyway), you still needed to use the txt file hack in 5 to get it to work too....

the only way to get the note feedback on is to use one of the scripts....

I do not know if controls from VST plugins will also feed back some information, but I will try this as soon as my hardware is finished..--)))

this works 100%, I'm using the mackie control script and reverse engineering it...

I also figured out the scripts are written in python, so I'm investigating that angle too...

david,

this is strange, as robert henke himself wrote the following:

"...The MIDI feeback option is not necessary anymore, since Live 5 this is enabled anyway. The options.txt stuff is a bit tricky. Things might change here from verision to version... so you can never be sure it does what you think it will do..."

I also know that the MONOME lights works without any script with MIDI FEEDBACK from the active clips, mhh.

But you are right that PHYTON is the key to the "real" control surface mapping. I think we have to differentiate between two different topics for this discussion:

1) MIDI Feedback from assigned controls/clips: this only works for the actual Live set one configures manually. So one has to assign e.g. MIDI Note ON´s to every clip/control which should spit out MIDI feedback. This should work without any script (according to the Ableton forums).

2) Generic control surfaces: those commands should work in EVERY Live set where one is working, without having to assign controls with MIDI mapping. This is where Phyton comes in.

Is this correct as I describe it? To be honest I never tried it myself, I am just also very interest in this topic and scanned all the forums like mad to gain some information..

kap.

• 4 months later...

cimo - yeah, but i all changes once you go to 6, the midifeedback trick won't work....

julien - what info specificially do you need? I've done mucho digging into that field...

The most exctining thing about 6 is they have released unsupported ways of using Python scripts to controll every single feature in ableton

hi DB

well my Live!5 does it by default, no need to hack anything.. (or is it that i dont understant what you are talking about?... midi feedback=the host says to the MB, or any other controller if a mapped button is on or off, so for example if you push a mapped button with the mouse the correspondent button will light up as well in your box)

yup - that's what i meant....

wow - it's weird yours was on already - lucky you! took me ages to track down a solution....

you on Mac or PC?

but also - the main point is of course, before you do lots of work on using the midifeedback stuff, you might wanna upgrade and go into the remote scripting - could save a duplication of work in the long run....

I also don't understand what the problem is.

I used a controller with ableton Live 5 & 6. and it sends back the info to my controller, so when I change something

on the screen the button on my controller changes with it.

Now to activate this function all you need to do is....

go to prefs --> MIDI /sync

then select the MIDI IN port from your controller and activate TRACK [ON] & REMOTE [ON]

do exactly the same for the MIDI OUT port that connects your controller to your pc/mac

When you close the prefs window, you should be able to map a controller key to ableton by using midi map.

And when you click on a button it should feedback to your controller.

Hope this helps.

grtz,

Liinnerd

• 4 weeks later...

Hi David !

sorry for the delay, i had forgotten to be notified for reply ...

What i need is very simple : all feedbacks messages from Live !

And I am specially interested by (to know if it can be possible) :

On my projectmix i/o I can navigate through the columns and rows of Live using 4 buttons (left/right/up/down arrows). What I would like is a direct addressing to the clip of the Rth row and the Cth column of my Liveset when I type on my 8x8 scan matrix. You can do that by using the midi assign functions of live but that mean mapping each clip. What I want is avoiding the mapping.

More about my 8x8 matrix :

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=9666.0

Best regards