Penguin Powered ? - fedora & EnergyXT

Artesia

Yup, its another one of those storys of a semi-geek who defected to linux..

In this case Fedora.

Microsofts whole racket with the suggish spyware called Vista has put me off completely & i have no intention of ever endorsing them again with my wallet.

Fedora is pretty smart really, did nothing other than install it & it finds my web connection streight away without any configuring ...how cool is that ! :)

And the built in messenger has no problem connecting to multiple services :) ..icq/aol/msn/yahoo/irc ...etc.

and of course azureus runs here too, being java and all ...throw in open office and you have everything the average non game crazy pc user needs to go about their daily business :)

So, give it a try.. if you already hav'nt :)

http://fedoraproject.org

Okay now heres the bit that makes this a little more relavent around here ..discovered energyXT Sequencer/DAW program for linux/windows & absolutely love it ...astoundingly good ..and it really is being 'given away' at the price of £27 odd ...after 20 mins with the demo ..i  bought it ..no more cubase for me :)

http://www.energy-xt.com/products.php

• 3 weeks later...

just switched Ubuntu linux ...it runs faster and has alot less bloat. fits on a cd rather than a dvd and can be booted from the install cd, allowing a fully functional os with instant web access ! ..and from within this mode it can be installed to the hard drive ...how cool is that ;) ..i cant see a windows installer cd doing that in sometime to come ;)

also fedora is built on redhat, and ubuntu is built on debian i beleive :)

mikeb: go to ardour.org ... you might be well... say... puffed up!

So let's talk distros... I switched to Gentoo for now maybe two years! I must say it is the best distro i ever ran on! Fast and optimized, because fully build at user-end. It is also the most portable, again because it is build at user-end. The one i will stick on for many many years.

BTW, Gentoo/Linux is also the second OS i chose for the midibox i'm currently designing. I've got two 15" touch screen lcds that i will use for it (very good usb support for touch screen in the Linux kernel). So MIOS on one stair, [Mute|Ardour]/Jack/Linux on the other. :)

• 4 weeks later...

This is a good thread to keep around...

I used Fedora a bit before I moved to Tokyo and I loved it. (unfortunately, I installed XP on my laptop to move with me.. simply out of the familiarity of it, and not wanting to go into panic mode far away from my software colletion).

I am particularly interested in music tools quality and integration to Midibox on linux platforms.

When I return, I have a project to build that will integrate the keystation and computer.. I dont want to put XP on it, but the user is familiar with Reason and the like.

The first time I went searching for good linux software, I had no luck, but I didnt exactly know where to look either.

Is there a good Tracktor-esque equivilent on Linux as well?

hallo

the only reason i am not into Linux-Audio anymore is because i moved to OSX and that s far the best OSX "ready made" for audio apps at the moment.

Still i use different flavors of Linux in a old PIII desktop i use for internet, writing, trying to mess up everything (Fedora then Suse and finally Ubuntu).

There are specific Distros dedicated to audio/video with low latency Kernel ready to go and support for USB audio etc.

Planet CCRMA is one of the best and they have i cool mailing list full of info.

Agnula DEMUDI is another good one (finally something to be proud of, as italian citizen ;-)

.. there are a few more out there and i am planning to create a Linux based Desktop system "a la receptor" to be controlled with my powerbook.Any input is welcome, has anybody stumbled into some similar project? i remember there were some rumours ...

And yes i think it is a good idea to promote Linux as audio software (is there any need to promote it as the best "daily use" OS after the Ubuntu CD Installer? how smart is that?) on uCapps.

We can keep this thread open as a start point, i have some experience to share for example.

Then, if your aim is more into NO-windows then YES-Linux you may want to have a look at the osx86 project aka OSX in the latest x86 platforms.Stability mainly depends on the hardware you have installed.

simone

I'm currently running Fedora Core 6 and have been using Fedora for a couple of years (since core 2 if I remember correctly).  Before that I used Slackware.  Currently I use Rosegarden for my sequencing and multitracking needs.  I also use Hydrogen for drum pattern and loop purposes (Rosegarden imports Hydrogen files so that works out well).  Occasionally I use Seq24 for building more loop based tracks as well.  With that, a couple of Java programs and the fact that I can (happily) run vmidibox64e and mpasm in wine I can't ever imagine owning a computer without Linux installed.  As a matter of fact, I haven't since 1998.  :)

I am not an audio guy actually.. Im electronics... 

So this question might be a no brainer:

How well do these platforms (linux) and software handle VST plugins..  I know VST is supposedly universal.. but how much truth is there to that?

my only concern is floating point perfomance and an extended 32bit OS with win3.1 DNA wont do the justice. Plus they also guarantee glitch less audio playback, and less/user customized kmixer ( the internal wma resample gross). My favorite PC joke: atreides - linux , ordos - mac, now Im with teh harkonnen, general Ballmer, ahead!!

Not to mention the general bugginess typical of any windows OS pre-SP2 (although lately that could be SP1 given that MS are trying hard to break that rep), lack of driver support for the few upgraded features EG WaveRT, conflicting opinions between developers about whether to support the new GUI (meaning that you can't tweak it to be optimal because different software on the same box wants a different OS config... blah blah blah...

Dude, Vista is the WinME of this decade.

But obviously you're keen on it, fair enough, but can you explain what benefit you think you'll see over XP?

[glitchless] 95% cpu utilisation is not even at the door in XP. I bought a quite expensive (well not quite b/c ebay ;D ) Lynx soundcard with 2 tons of digital I/O, when I use not only a stereo pair that means additional CPU hit. The talk is that it takes yet 6 months to see it working nice, but even then, WaveRT wont turn into ASIO (in terms of spread). Who use it say its already lot more stable than XP was.

Who use it say its already lot more stable than XP was.

Where'd you hear that? I've heard just the opposite... My workplace (a big one I can't name who has testing facilities matched only in maybe three places in the world) has tested it and found that to be far from true...

And if you're hitting 95% CPU you need an upgrade of hardware not software ;)

Edit: Never mind... This is way off topic and I don't care to try and help any more. Dive in.

I'd love to try Fedora and EnergyXT, but

could someone please tell me where to download a Linux driver for my E-MU 0404 soundcard?

I've searched for hours, but not even the E-MU-Hotline is able to tell me if such a driver exists.  :'(

HELP!!

Scary article on the effect of Vista's protection concepts.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

The thought of ASIO not working is a real nasty.

(Reposted and original deleted because I put it on the wrong thread  due to late night brain fade and caffeine deprivation)

Adding (playing indirect catch up here), service packs normally don't fix an architectural feature).

I usually advise clients never to install the first release of anything, (unless they've had it written to a test spec). I am seeing quite a lot of Linux 'hypotheticals' at the moment. I think the real clincher has been the rise and general quality of OpenOffice. Especially in countries where the flexibility for new languages helps - like right to left text, and the fact that the OpenOffice org was part of the Opendoc specifier group, which MS ignored until the last minute.

Its known vista features audio engine written from scratch. There are problems like this one ( copied from Lynx forum):

"WMP uses WDM. We have encountered issues with clicks and pops in some WDM apps in Vista that are not related to buffer underruns (dropouts). Since the driver for XP and Vista are operationally almost identical, the issue appears to be most related to the poor PCI support in Vista. This is something we (Lynx) are working with Microsoft on. Certainly it is not always avoidable, especially with purchasing a new computer, but when possible we recommend sticking with XP until Vista SP1 is out."  Cakewalk, developer of Sonar (PC only) also working with mS at this moment. Other particular problem is dire perfomance under 10 ms latency. I dont really care about copyright problems until I cna play vinyls & stuff recorded by myself. Who cares then there is always bootmenu and XP partition on hdd.

im sure macintosh wants to be the HDMI workstation, no doubt about this. All this recent *we dont use copy protection any more* stuff. When vista is on way someone in NZ starts a webpage about this scary stuff , simple as f*ck, I think this way.    I dont want HDMI, what I want is digital crossover network inside PC for my speakers, and 4 pieces of stable digital output. Obviusly , I cant afford new tweeters & stuff any time windows wants to play some glitch, no matter what. The utilities went into vista , like room correction & stuff seems to dictate MS cant afford it either.