MIDIbox of the Week (Wilba's MIDIbox SID V2, aka. MB-6582)

TK.

Wilba has finally finished his "MB-6582", one of the most professional looking MIDIboxes!

It's pure eye candy - not only outside, but also inside the case --- enjoy! :)

He wrote:

Hi TK,

Here are some photos of my MIDIbox SID V2, aka. MB-6582

481495707_1ec28e7846.jpg

481496087_02ce5dce82.jpg

481496473_e495a4b824.jpg

481496901_9bfa913cf4.jpg

476908770_c227bdfce5.jpg

476909216_d4c0cc6a62.jpg

476909764_c97b8bbd8e.jpg

Hi-res versions of these pics and more are hosted in my Flickr photo

set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilba/sets/72157594358133094/

and my MIDIbox wiki page describes the internal construction:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wilba_mb_6582

Specifications:

- 8x 6582 SIDs, for four channel stereo with MB-SID V2.

- Custom made base PCBs contain 4x Core, 8x SID, 3x DOUT, 5x DIN

- Custom made control surface PCB joins at front edge by ribbon cables

- Original C64 PSU, power socket and power switch

- Four dual-gang potentiometers at rear for SID audio feedback

- Audio outputs of unplugged sockets are passive mixed to headphone jack

- PacTec PT-10 enclosure with black anodized panels by Front Panel

Express (same case as the x0xb0x, totally by accident!)

- 40mm fan and ventilation slots on right side keep the SIDs cool!

- Full "step-C" control surface with switch/LED matrix

- Dimensions: 11" x 8" x 3"

- Approximate cost: AU$800 (US$662, 486 EUR), probably more

At this time, I would like to thank you for all the work you've done

to create such a cool project as the MIDIbox SID Synthesizer and look

forward to many years of playing this beast of a synth... ;D

Best Regards,

Mit freundlichem Gruß,

Wilba

See that's just like you Wilba... The most powerful analog synth ever isn't enough, you had to make it so damn sexy too.  ;D

It was so hard not to tell people stuff about this thing as you built it... I just wanted to post pics and go "Holy cow look at that thing!!!!" It's just so impressive!

Hi Wilba,

especially looking at the inside life of this great box: this is the most professional MIDIbox build I've seen! No spaghetti wiring (as seen in many other MIDIboxes), clean boards, cable minimization well adapted box outfit. Just professional. Congratulations!

Cheers,

Skunk

Wilba, that´s most lovely! This is ... is ... just ... you know, I´m kinda speechless, it´s amazing (that word is pure understatement right now). Ok, 480 Euros, I think that´s not to much for such a exceptionally box, but how long *the heck* did you need for the PCB designing?!?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the compliments!

TK called this eye-candy outside and inside, a great way of putting it, as it's pretty obvious that I spent a lot of time desiging the inside. When I first read about MB-SID V2 and the possibility of having four Core modules and eight SID modules, I reversed my preference for PCB modules and starting designing a single PCB for the four PICs and eight SIDs, and realised that by doing so, I could optimize it so each pair of SIDs only required two 74HC595 shift registers. Then after choosing the case and discovering I could squeeze in five 74HC165 and three 74HC595, with a neat "hinge-like" cable to the control surface, I then optimized the control surface by using a combined matrix for both LEDs and switches (the rotary encoders aren't in the matrix and use DIN pins).

... how long *the heck* did you need for the PCB designing?!?

It's hard to say how long this took, as at the same time I was desigining the front panel layout and planning how it would all fit together. I started planning and designing it last May, and ordered the PCBs in October, spending probably 10 hours a week. So PCB design probably took 200 hours over six months, as everything was manually routed and I changed my mind a few times along the way, and a large chunk of that time was routing the control surface PCB. I really enjoy PCB layout, and there's a huge buzz when you get some PCBs in your hands that you designed yourself.

Actual construction didn't take that long, but it dragged on for weeks because testing MB-SID V2 alpha was very distracting  ;)

Price tag is kinda ouch inducing...$662! What were the most costly items?

I actually went with an overall design that would be cheapest to put together (single PCB instead of modules, small control surface area and PCB)... the big costs were AU$170 for PCBs (one-off prototype manufacture, and that's the cheapest for this size) and AU$200 for panels (Front Panel Express).

Case: AU$45

20x4 PLED display: AU$45

LEDs, switches, encoders: AU$70

Knobs: AU$20

PCBs: AU$170

Panels: AU$200

Other components (chips, sockets, screws, spacers, etc.): AU$100 (I guess)

8x 6582A SIDs: AU$100

I went to SmashTV's site to work out a comparitive cost:

4 Core modules, 8 SID modules, 1 DIN modules, 1 DOUT modules =

PCBs only: AU$102 (US$84)

Kits: AU$300 (US$244.80)

... and that's not including SIDs or control surface components!

The panels by Front Panel Express were expensive, but in retrospect were well worth it. I don't have the tools to make an aluminium front panel, especially not one that would align with the PCB perfectly. Same deal with the PCBs. I paid a lot because it's a one-off PCB production, but compared to AU$102 for module PCBs, AU$170 for the base PCB and custom control surface PCB is a bargain. (In no way am I suggesting SmashTV's prices are high, it's just that you need a lot of modules to make the same thing as what I'm making). Also, prices in Australia for standard components can be a little more than Europe and USA, and some of the exotic ones need to be bought from distributors or imported.

Many people have asked me whether they could get one of these PCBs. A batch run of the base PCBs is in the planning stage, they might cost US$30 each. A batch run of the control surface PCB isn't planned, but two people could split a prototype PCB order and maybe pay US$65 each. People interested in getting either PCB should contact me by PM.

I'm not planning a CS PCB batch, because I don't think there's many people who would want both PCBs, or want my "compact" CS design and be tied to exactly the same case and components. Many people create a CS to suit their preferences and component availability and budget. But there's probably enough people wanting to put this base PCB in their current MB-SID box or a new one to make a batch order worthwhile... especially people with quad-SIDs in C64 cases that have no room to put in four more SID modules.

[img width=400 height=300]http://www.midibox.org/midibox_sid_blm_photos/04.jpg

Does this look familiar?  ;D

I do have a spare CS PCB which I have no use for... perhaps someone might want it?  ;)

Someone like, ermm,

ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!

But on these pictures I can't see the illumination of the encoders.. Is that just the picture, or did you remove / redesigned it?

I knew someone would eventually ask me that...  ;)

I didn't remove it, it's still in there, just turned off. I have to admit that it's too much distraction with them all illuminated, even just a little bit... the LEDs of the control surface get lost amongst all the light from the knobs. Perhaps if the panel was pale, like aluminium or grey or white, or if the knobs glowed white instead of blue, then it would be a nicer effect. One knob in isolation looks nice and pretty, but fifteen of them all glowing is just way too much!

I forgot to answer this:

Wilba, have you thought about putting up a few audio/video clips for us to hear/see it in action.  ;D

Yeah, now that I have an excuse to YouTube something interesting, I might just do that... I just have to work out how to gaffer tape my camcorder to my head.  ;)

Yeah, now that I have an excuse to YouTube something interesting, I might just do that... I just have to work out how to gaffer tape my camcorder to my head.  ;)

Might have to reach out to an action sports film crew, haha. Or you could try suspending it from the ceiling. :) As nice as the controller is, think about putting video up on a site that doesn't kill the video quality, like this: http://stage6.divx.com/user/Denkitribe/video/1072802/KORG-KAOSS-PAD-KP3-(7)