8xSID MB-SID PCB (aka. MB-6582) - request for comments

Wilba

ähm, when will be the final date - of ordering? Any Idea? - I dont have stress-  ;) only to know  ;)

today  ;)

No seriously: the sooner you place and confirm your order, the sooner Wilba can estimate how much work will be involved. I have some experience with bulk ordering, and there are two things to do: order everything you want (so don't make endless requests to change your order) and order early.

Happy ordering  ;D

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. No one will be left behind

If you've posted to this thread or sent me a PM, then you are on the list.

If you've followed the instructions sent to you by PM, and replied to me by email and confirmed your PCB orders, then you are confirmed.

If you haven't followed the instructions and I don't have an email address yet, then I'll nag you until I do.

2. This stuff takes time

Some people don't get online every day, and haven't emailed me back yet, so as a courtesy to everyone, I will wait until I have confirmation from everyone who expressed interest in getting the PCBs. This means that it might take another week to finally get everyone's email addresses and send out PayPal requests.

3. Sorry for being brief

I can't maintain in-depth discussions with 50 people simultaneously. This thread will contain the "latest news" on the process of ordering PCBs and arranging other bulk orders.

4. One thing at a time

As much as I would love to post boxes with all the bits you'll need to make one "just like mine", I've said from the start that I am not selling kits and the best you can hope for is for me to coordinate bulk orders. This is why I am processing the PCB orders first, and leaving panels and other parts orders until after this is done, because they will take time to sort out. Yes, you may have to pay a little more in postage costs, getting PCBs delivered separately to panels and other components, but considering you're getting an absolute bargain on both PCBs (US$40 vs. the US$130 I paid) I hardly think an extra postage cost is going to send you broke. In addition, those people who just want the base PCB shouldn't have to wait for the rest of you to sort out panel artwork and CS parts orders.

5. Please be patient

I can't stress this enough... coordinating a bulk order of 50+ people is time consuming (for me) and is only as fast as the slowest person.

Good news, I've located stock of the 7-pin DIN socket (into which most of you will plug your C64 power cable) at a local distributor. I will personally purchase a big bag of these and distribute with every base PCB. I do this because I wasn't sure if parts from other manufacturers (especially Mouser's one) would match the PCB, At least this way, I have the sockets in my hand that match the PCB design before I order the PCBs.

Unless you are building your own PSU and definiately not using the C64 power supply, you should get one, so I will add it by default to everyone's base PCB order, it will cost an extra US$2 per socket.

Now the switch: As mentioned earlier, a switch that appears to match the PCB and case has been found at Mouser, I will try to see if I can get them before ordering PCBs, but if I can't, it's not as critical as the socket, as people can solder in any cheap DPDT switch just to get their base PCBs running, and get the right switch along with future bulk orders... those planning to get their base PCB components from Mouser can just add the switch to their order at that time.

A full BOM (bill of materials, i.e. parts list) for the base PCB is being prepared now, I will post it very soon.

I now have orders for 72 base PCBs, 50 control surface PCBs, and the total "pre-orders" for sets of panels is 42.

Obviously I can't wait too long for the last few people to confirm their orders, so I will send out requests for PayPal payments now and start collecting the payments, giving everyone a week to send through their payment, so that by Friday the 13th July, I should have received everyone's payments and can order the PCBs.

I know I said before that "No one will be left behind" but there's really no point in holding up this order due to someone who posts once that they want PCBs and then doesn't return.

If you expressed interest in buying these PCBs but did not receive a PM from me with my email address asking you to email me with confirmation, then check your messages, and quickly email me! If you can't find it, send me a PM.

If you are only just reading about this PCB order and want to join in, you must quickly send me a PM with your email address so I can include you in the PayPal payment requests, and also tell me if you want to join the future bulk order of panels so we can keep that total up to date. Payments received after Friday the 13th July will be politely refunded.

OK, I know English isn't everyone's first language, but...

If you are only just reading about this PCB order and want to join in, you must quickly send me a PM with your email address so I can include you in the PayPal payment requests

It's a very simple instruction. Send your email address please! Send your PayPal email address also. Any more requests without this information will be ignored. Any more posts to this thread telling me you want PCBs will be ignored. The order is officially closing.....

Just a quick question, I don't know if you've considered this Wilba. Paypal charges a fee to receive money doesn't it? I think it's not much, but for an order approaching 50, it will add up! I was just wondering if you'd accounted for this when you sent out the paypal stuff. If so, i'll pay mine today!

Just a quick question, I don't know if you've considered this Wilba. Paypal charges a fee to receive money doesn't it? I think it's not much, but for an order approaching 50, it will add up! I was just wondering if you'd accounted for this when you sent out the paypal stuff. If so, i'll pay mine today!

Yes, I already factor in PayPal fees in US$20 price.

I think it would be a little easier if you were a UK distributer, but as you say it would probably be a lot cheaper to source things from the US, especially with the current exchange rate.

And what about customs tax?

I was thinking for convenience you can setup a Mouser order, because they have a huge range, including the PT-10 case at better price breaks than PacTec, i.e. cheaper than PacTec at the numbers we need.

I mean you can hunt around on the net and find some parts cheaper but then you lose the savings in multiple postage costs. I've never ordered from Mouser before but they have a good website for making orders.

Got my email and paid via paypal

Qty Description

1   MB-6582 Base PCB

1   MB-6582 Control Surface PCB

Thanks Wilba... looking forward for any other group purchases.

Cheers

Steve

Is there an order for the panels as well?  Did I miss that... cause I'd like to get them as well.

cheers

Steve

For those who are interested, here's the latest version of the panel artwork:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~wilba6581/mb-6582/MB-6582_frontpanel.fpd

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~wilba6581/mb-6582/MB-6582_rearpanel.fpd

... and because a lot of you don't have (or really want) Front Panel Designer installed, here's a PDF version of the frontpanel for easy viewing:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~wilba6581/mb-6582/MB-6582_frontpanel.pdf

I still have to increase the size of the LCD hole to compensate for the LCD being further behind the panel. I know what to do, I just haven't got around to doing the math again.

After feedback from TK, I've made the following changes:

* new "Channel" button/LED pair above the menu encoder, for quick selection of left, right or both channels (SIDs).

* "Shift" and "Menu" buttons are both under the menu encoder.

* Envelope "Ctrl" label remains "Assign" like the original.

For the seriously curious, here are the latest pics of the PCB:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~wilba6581/mb-6582/MB-6582_Base_PCB.pdf

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~wilba6581/mb-6582/MB-6582_CS_PCB.pdf

I changed the CS PCB to match the new panel layout, and specified the internal route where the LCD bezel will poke through. The base PCB has some minor tinkering of component placements. I also decided to get the PCB manufacturer to route the two notches you need at the top of the board to make it fit in the PT-10 case. I used a Dremel to cut these notches on mine, but not everyone has a Dremel...  ;)

I am still waiting on confirmation of PCB orders, an email address and a PayPal email address from the following people:

insky

foxtecca

Fall_X

analog_geek

NAS

recoil_sun

acidman

Last chance.