Noob Software Questions

Yonderknight

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been discussed before (I spent a couple minutes searching, please point me to a thread if it has)!

I'm getting into this whole electronic music thing, and I have a lot of questions about different computer software. Namely things like FL Studio (fruityloops), Cubase, Ableton Live, Sony Acid, Reason, and Avid Protools.

I am just wondering what some of their pros/cons are, and which one would you use if you wee only interested in a specific purpose (like live performance versus production). Is there any one that you would consider to be "general purpose" or better than the rest? Also, which ones do you usually use together, and can those be substituted for another software? I'm mainly interested in their MIDI capabilities, but I'd also like to know the other things too.

From what I understand, Ableton seems to be popular for live performances, but I've heard the same for Reason. Also, I've heard Cubase is mainly used for things like sequencing and not so much live work.

I'm familiar with FL Studio, and it seems really nice for recordings, but I don't know how well its live features compare with the other software. I know it has options to link things to midi controllers, but I'm not sure how flexible it actually is (I don't have any MIDI gear yet).

Also, what features are key in each category? Like what kind of features does Ableton offer that make it so much better to deal with live performance than FL studio or vise versa?

I'd just like some opinions for users with experience with any of these. Like I said above, I don't actually have any MIDI gear yet, so I haven't had a chance to mess with much. I think once I get started I'll probably be mainly interested in live work, but recording also seems interesting. So which software would you recommend for someone like me?

Thanks!

Hello,

Cubase and Logic are more for Recording purposes. Both programms are like a virtual multitrackrecorder - and therfore not really good for live purposes. I worked for Years with Cubase until I got Ableton Live. Ableton Live is good for recording, remixing and of course for live performances + DJ Sets. Ableton Live is very intuitive and flexible, like a mixture of a multitrackrecorder and a MPC (Did you ever worked with a Akai MPC???) with a lot of integrated effects. There is too much to say. Get the the demo from www.ableton.com, watch the videos which are showing Live's functions and trust me you'll be amazed.

Just to put forward my standard gripe - no software is appropriate for a live gig, because the PC/Mac/Whatever can and almost certainly will crash.

Just go get the demo versions and see which one suits your personal style. The 'best' one will depend on what you want:)

Yes stryd_one, agreed, crashes are a risk with every software. But I never had one with Live at a session. Just keep your System clean from any unneeded software, disable wireless lan, bluetooth and so on and of course use premium hardware. Then everything will be fine.  ;)

For the beginning without any outboard a software will be alright. But consider, that you possibly need some additional  (VST-)softsynths (Reason for example is full equipped and you can't expand it with 3rd Party Products). Live has only the Simpler and the Impulse. But it's expandable with al lot of 3rd Party Plugs.

/Daniel