Midibox CV with linear vcos

jrp

I know that the MBCV can drive linear vcos. In therory this is very cool, because a linear (integrator-tricore) vco is simple and easy to build, requires no highfreq trimming and has no expensive, temperature depending expo converter.

A big polysynth could easily be built with the MBCV and this kind of vco.

But how are your experiances with this setup? How does it perform?

I recently started a discussion on this in the electro-music.com forum. A friend there pointed out that there can be problems with tuning to different ranges, and that the usable range is always limited more or less, depending on the dac used.

You might want to check if these MIDI controllers give you enough resolution for building linear frequency control. i.e. if it is possible in all frequency ranges to get a good enough tuning. This usually is troublesome with linear control from D/A outputs, it would be a bit sad to discover about this after all the work is done.

and later another user added:

You're gonna want to use a multiplying DA for this. DAC0831 is a good choice

What interests me is this: I think for an analog synth it´s ok to be limited to 4 octaves at a time, but it´s important to be able to tune that range from low to high.

Now i can imagine that when an offset is applied to the cv, to transpose the whole range, that in that case the scale will get out of tune. Is that so?

How about pitchbend?