MIDIbox of the Week (MIDIbox SEQ V3 (now V4) of Francois)

TK.

Hey Francois, your sequencer looks really nice, and sturdy, especially with those metal knobs. I believe you made that case especially for ...SEQ? or you find some that fits? Idea for plugs at side panels is great for sequencer if you want to put your synth close to the SEQ. I wanted to do it same way but SEQ V3 have so many connectors to have all at side panels. Once again, great work.

Bonjour,  ;)

Thanks for the compliments!

Well, I first thought to use the keyboard of a sun station to fix the front panel on it.

Due to that fact, the sequencer is not rackable.. But I don't care as the goal is to get akind of  desktop sequencer. It is bigger and in fact, I got a little more place for the electronic.

After I noticed that the Sun keyboard is to fin for the electronic, I collected aluminium panels from my company..  :P And did a design for the case which I gave to a friend to machine it.

It is true there are many connectors.. At the moment I have 3 midi sockets and 1 power supply.

I have to drill other holes and I will use mini din, the same one you can find on video cams.

For other additional midi outs and ins as well as for the roland synchro 24.

I will add soon machined thick foots with a V shape, just to bring the sequencer a little bit higher with a small angle.. approximately the same you can find on the TR 808 or on the Roland MC4B sequencers.

I try to get a 60's 70's spirit design..  8)

I like this design now.. Funny as during the 80's I hated it..

I wanted to get a very square design, with everything flat, with buttons at the same level than the front panel but with only the rotary knobs doing the contrast.

I found the knobs in a electronic used surplus parts and components shop . exactly 17 like that..  :D

I have been quite lucky. :D

But to find again the same.. It will be impossible  :-\

I also wanted to avoid any screw on the front panel.

If you want to find similar knobs, I noticed that some guitars Fender or Gibson use the same.. But, it is not cheap.. Around 5 euro or even more for the guitar one comparing to the 1 euro per knobs I paid.. There is also a chinese amplifier company using this kind of buble or valve knobs...

I wanted to install the CV/gate option, but I will do an additional module for it. If not the case would have been thicker and it would have been sade.

But, all these words turn around cosmetical aspects.. I like to do that.. But the main purpose is the electronic and the software..Thorsten.. thank you!! ;D

I try to get a 60's 70's spirit design..  Cool

I like this design now.. Funny as during the 80's I hated it..

Same with me.  :)

I have one suggestion... you should paint the engraved letters to be more visible. You wont degrade the look but it will be much better, especially in darker rooms. Some black paint would go very well with rest of the design.

• 2 years later...

We upgraded this sequencer to MBSEQ V4 today.

We replaced the MBHP_CORE module by a MBHP_CORE_STM32, created new LCD cables with 1:1 pinning and a new cable to DIN and DOUT chain:

francois_b12.jpg

Fortunately the slot which was previously used for mounting three MIDI sockets and a power connector is large enough for the USB + 4 MIDI sockets of the new core module:

francois_b13.jpg

For the SD Card we used a cheapo floppy edge connector:

francois_b14.jpg

We haven't noticed hardware issues after the update, everything worked immediately! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.