Button decision and (more) noob questions

bob1

hi everyone

I'm still gathering information about parts and all, the next 1 or 2 weeks will be devoted to soldering exercises, tho.

I need a quite simple layout, 32 Pots and 16+ Buttons, hope I can do without the LCD (have read about that part in the WIKI).

I'm going to be playing Arturia Minimoog and Battery 3 through Ableton and I'm fine with the midi learn functions in both plugins.

I know which Pots to buy but still haven't found the right Buttons yet. I need something of easy motion, suited for playing drums and other samples, like the Jomox XBase 09 buttons or maybe those of the TR-808, don't need those MPC rubberpads and some kind of computer keyboard numpad look would be great.

Any recommendations?

thanks

Hi Bob,

maybe these buttons are fine for you?

DTL_2.jpg

They are available at reichelt.de (type "taster" into the search mask), and there are different colours and version available (with or without integated LED).

But they are not cheap: 1.85 EUR per piece

There are also these round ones which I do prefer:

DT6_2.jpg

they are available for 0.72 EUR per piece

Also conrad.de has a wide variety of buttons.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Also take a look at www.mec.dk.

They have a Switch with integrated LED that accepts different keycaps.

I priced some samples in South Africa this morning, and The switch with keycap is about 2.5 Euro, but realy nice.

Just look for the illumec 4FTH9 series with 1KC1116 keycaps.

HTH

Thys

Hi Bob,

maybe these buttons are fine for you?

DTL_2.jpg

Also conrad.de has a wide variety of buttons.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Great, thanks a lot. Think I'm gonna go for the square version without LEDs to keep the whole thing as simple as possible and I don't need them for the onoff functionality anyway. The round ones look a lot like those typical MFB controls which were good for programming a step sequencer but I didn't like them for live playing stuff

I'll see if I can try out some of these buttons tomorrow at a Conrad store

Just realised that the midi interface I want to build is supposed to look a bit like the PS3 Sequencer if some of the controls are skipped and the whole thing is trimmed a bit, maybe like this without the LEDs

layout.jpg

Also take a look at www.mec.dk.

They have a Switch with integrated LED that accepts different keycaps.

I priced some samples in South Africa this morning, and The switch with keycap is about 2.5 Euro, but realy nice.

Just look for the illumec 4FTH9 series with 1KC1116 keycaps.

HTH

Thys

Vattern, Bob asked for some easy going buttons so he can play drums. With MEC buttons there is no chance to play drums as they are extremely stiff !

I can suggest knitter-switch buttons (www.knitter-switch.com) I don`t know about the price but these buttons are perfect for playing drums. They have some fairly big ones with small movement and they are very soft, just perfect for what you want.  ;)

Check out TR3 Button (you can chose the colour of the cap, with or without LED, and even position of LED)

http://www.knitter-switch.com/pdf_en/3_4_1%20TR_TM.pdf