PCBs from mike to US

jeroddumas

May I add that I received my boards from Mike today? That's very fast, considering that I mailed my envelope with cash thursdaynight from Holland to Germany!!

And the boards are really small when you first see them  ;D

Thanks Mike!

Well, I guess the word is out!   :)

What forms of payment will smashtv accept?

Paypal, and -possibly- a couple of other forms of payment in the future.

I'm still working to get my ducks in a row to make them available, the board layouts I will be using will be slightly different than what is here on the site now (mostly to work well with parts from Mouser).  The layouts will be freely available here and fully documented with an order list for Mouser.

Now for the big question- Why new layouts?

1. They are easier to etch at home than the current board layouts, with fewer tracks run between IC pins, some spacing changes (less possibility for a short) and fewer jumpers.

2. The parts on the Mouser order list will fit exactly without any extra work.  (I have made up Reichelt lists for the new layouts also, but proper fit has not been tested yet)

3.  With the new layouts you will be able to make one order from Mouser and get everything but the PIC18F, and I'll be stocking (and programming to order) the PIC18F and the boards.  Almost one stop shopping.

Again I need a little more time to test and finalize the layouts before they are released, I have built one set and I'm still testing all functionality (I don't want anyone out there spending the time to self etch a board that has an error in the layout), and other test boards will be sent out asap for others to test just to make sure.

I will also be programming PICs for those who already have them for free, if you pay the postage both ways.

Full parts kits will be available in the future, but I want to concentrate now on making the boards and pre-programmed PICs available, plus Mouser provides quick service.

Everyone should order from Mike until further notice, and while I'm not willing to give a specific date that everything will be available, I am doing my best to get everthing together asap.

I'll post here when everything is ready, and please post with any questions, comments, or suggestions.

SmashTV aka Tim

Please hurry Smash.

I am working as much as possible on it, but I live in Oklahoma and we just had a tornado come through and level homes less than a block away from me here, so a couple of days of time with the chainsaw are in my immediate future.   ;)

I'm just happy that the power is finally back on etc. and that there were no casualties this time.

How are you prices going to look??

I'm pretty sure they will be around $7 per board.  My cost floats around $6. (There are way cheaper methods than I use, but my process eliminates all but one of the bad-for-you chemicals and minimizes fiberglass dust, a priority for me since this is a "garage" operation)

Later!

Tim aka SmashTV

Sorry to here about the bad weather.  I am here i Georgia and we are having severe flooding.  My basement is under as we speak.  Your weather seems to get to us in about two days so i hope it looses strength by then,  Just let us know when you have the boards ready I may be your first customer.   8)

Guest rhogben

and you will be posting a full parts list from mouser that work with your boards?

so it will sort of be like the kits from chris except we get boards from you and just go to mouser with a list?

and you will be posting a full parts list from mouser that work with your boards?

so it will sort of be like the kits from chris except we get boards from you and just go to mouser with a list?

Yes.  Full parts list with Mouser part numbers.  I'm also looking at putting a link on my site that will feed a ready made BOM to Mouser's online ordering system for you.  In other words, "Click here to put everything in the LTC parts list above in a Mouser shopping cart for you" type thing.

I will also be offering parts kits in the near future that will be way less expensive than even very large bulk orders from Mouser.

It takes extra time to realize that savings though. The least expensive parts mostly come from the pacific rim, and if the language barrier is not enough to slow down the specification process shipping sometimes takes around a month (some manufacturers I like are only setup to ship via boat).  But the difference in pricing is amazing.

The layouts that I use to produce boards will also be freely available, with construction tutorials etc. for those who want to make thier own boards, including specific methods/tricks I have used myself with all three available types of toner transfer paper.

Have fun! (I am!)   :)

Smash

Guest Flownezz

Once again i would like to thank every one one on this forum who are dedicated to keeping this project "open source"so to speak (especially the grand master Thorsten :D).  Keep up the good work guyz.

Guest Xcen

I agree with that last post :) Thanks a lot, this is making a dream come true hehe

Looking forward to do business with SmashTV as well, you can count me in as a customer!

• 2 weeks later...
any news on this?

Sorry about the lack of updates from my end!

Between testing the new layouts and all of the family in town life has been a blur.  ;)

The layouts are done, the orderlists are done, how-to web pages for the AIN, CORE, and JDM are done, online ordering page is done, now I'm testing the MF module for proper function.  My plan is to get the rest of the how-to pages done today, stopping to take the pics makes it a slow process.  :)

I fully expect to start taking orders for boards this Friday.

Until then! :)

SmashTV

Guest Xcen

Ooooooh I'm gonna be the first in line! Plus next friday is my birthday hehehe

I want to thank you mr Smash for taking the time (I'm very aware that this is not a lucrative activity for you) to do all this for the community, I am quite grateful...and excited!!! hehee can't wait to start working on it... :)

thanks!

Next milestone reached: TK received the well made PCBs from SmashTV for testing. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: only problem: I'm going into holidays tomorrow and therefore will not be able to finish the tests before mid of june

P.S.: only problem: I'm going into holidays tomorrow and therefore will not be able to finish the tests before mid of june

I'm having a bit of extra delay from my copper clad supplier, so this is a good thing.  I only have 30-45 blanks left (I need 5 of those for unrelated protos) so I would not be able to fill many orders until those are in (probably late next week).  It will also give me more time with the MF board, the one with the most layout changes.  It only has 4 jumpers now, so with that much change it needs a bit more testing than the rest....:)

I'll be sending out more test boards, if anyone wants to help here is a list of what I need from you:

>prefer in the Southwest US (so shipping is fast from me and Mouser).

>buy the needed parts on the new list(s) from Mouser.

>build test boards within the next week.

>test ->prefer tested in place of already working modules.

>let me know via email of any problems/help with solutions.

>prefer familiar with their meter, and able to troubleshoot simple problems or take readings and document well so I can re-create the problem here.

>send me pics if needed.  

I have built all of the new boards except for the SID, and so far everything seems to work.  With the all of the variations possible I want to test more so we can be sure everything is correct before everyone who is waiting for the new layouts builds.  I don't expect any issues but experience tells me to prepare for otherwise...;)

If you are up to the task, reply to this message, here in the forum, with what module(s) you can easily test,  and what setup (MB16E, MIOS LC, etc) you would be testing on.

I would like to have two more complete sets tested by other people out there up and running before we can finalize the layouts/order lists.

Later!

SmashTV

>send me pics if needed.  

I should have said send me images if needed.  I was very tired last night..... ;)

As I said everything seems to be working, but it would ease my mind to know these modules work fine when you drop them into an already functional MB.

>prefer in the Southwest US (so shipping is fast from me and Mouser).
Let's make that anyone in the US, I simply can't afford to send these out internationally on my dime.   ;)

Any takers?

SmashTV