MIDIbox SID V2 Release + Feedback

TK.

In the Drum Engine, if you have SQC = * (Internal Sequencer Active),

and its playing back,

if you then go to the Random Generator Menu, and Press All,

i notice that the Sequencer gets deactivated after a random patch is generated and playback stops.

Would it be possible to allow it to keep active when random patches are generated?

Or maybe its mandatory to reset the oscillators or something.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi... Can anyone confirm, that the Sammich SID is correctly responding to Bank change messages (using CC#00)?

I'm on SONAR and I REALLY have tried EVERYTHING to make SONAR switch banks on the SammichSID using the "Controller 0" method... everything is set up correctly, but the only thing that happens is that it switch patches within the currently selected bank on the SammichSID... No bank change is happening at all.

I'm just wondering if this might be a bug, or it's SONAR that screws up... SONAR has behaved weirdly before not wanting to switch banks on other machines I've got as well, but these usualy could be fixed by making a new .ins file, but not this time.

Regards, Razmo.

Works fine at my side.

Note that only values 0..7 lead to a bank change, all other values are silently ignored.

You could try the bank change with MIDI-Ox - does it work with this program?

You could also check if Sonar really sends CC#0 by using a MIDI-Loopback, monitored with MIDI-Ox

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Works fine at my side.

Note that only values 0..7 lead to a bank change, all other values are silently ignored.

You could try the bank change with MIDI-Ox - does it work with this program?

You could also check if Sonar really sends CC#0 by using a MIDI-Loopback, monitored with MIDI-Ox

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Well... I feared that it worked with others... are the SammichSID handling patch+bank change as two separate events, or will it wait after recieving a bank change for a Patch Change right after the Bank controller 0 has been sent? ... I have a feeling it's something about how SONAR is sending out the change... I have other gear connected to SONAR that also use controller 0 for bank changing, and they change banks as they should.

I guess I'll have to take a closer look at what is going on in SONAR's MIDI sending...

You say numbers 0-7 ? The SammichSID only have 4 banks and 1 ensemble bank... I've been using numbers 0-3 for banks A-D with controller 0

Edited by Razmo Kefrens

It doesn't matter in which order Program Change and Bank Change are received - both events will change the patch immediately.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I localized the problem now... it's SONAR that screw up.

In SONAR you can choose 4 types of bank change schemes:

Standard (using both controllers 0 and 32)

Controller 0 (using controller 0 only)

Controller 32 (using controller 32 only)

Patch 100-127 (using patch changes to bank switch)

no matter WHAT method you choose, SONAR always spit out the standard way, using both controller 0 and 32... I do not know if this is an unknown bug or if they intentionally dropped the 3 other methods, but it means that I cannot make bank changes on the SammichSID unless I multiply the bank number by 128 which is easy enough, but as it also send out a controller 32, one of the CC parameters in the SammichSID will change every time I do a bank change.

This is really bad...

Yes, this isn't nice... :-/

You could disable the assignment to CC#32 in src/sid_cc_table.inc

replace:

db 0x2c, 0x2d, 0x2e, 0x2f, 0x48, 0x4c, 0x00, 0x00 ; offset 0x20
[/code] by:
[code]
db 0x00, 0x2d, 0x2e, 0x2f, 0x48, 0x4c, 0x00, 0x00 ; offset 0x20

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: please check your email inbox ;)

Yes, this isn't nice... :-/

You could disable the assignment to CC#32 in src/sid_cc_table.inc

replace:

db      0x2c, 0x2d, 0x2e, 0x2f, 0x48, 0x4c, 0x00, 0x00  ; offset 0x20

by:

db      0x00, 0x2d, 0x2e, 0x2f, 0x48, 0x4c, 0x00, 0x00  ; offset 0x20

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: please check your email inbox ;)

Problem is that I'm not really skilled with assembling stuff TK... I've been away from coding and stuff for too long :)

... Many other synths have a feature to disable reception of Continous Controllers... maybe this would be an idear if you make any new changes to the software?

I'm just amazed that SONAR has been working this way all these years... now that I look at the MIDI implementation of all my other gear that use either CC00 or CC32 for bank change, none of them has anything assigned to the other controller (MSB/LSB) so this is why it "works" with these machines... I have ONE machine that use controller 32 for something else, the Waldorf Pulse, but as it has only 100 patches, there is no need for a bank change which is why it works (SONAR gets this right though, only sending the patch change then).

I wonder if Cubase or Logic does it the same way...

My Email in box!?... I've changed email since last we spoke TK... try razmo666@gmail.com :twitch:

Edited by Razmo Kefrens

• 2 weeks later...

Both me and my friend have a sammichSID and have both tried to run external sound sources through it. It all runs fine for a couple of seconds, the sound goes through the filter, then the sound disappears and you have to turn "ext in" in the filter section off and on again for it to work for another couple of seconds, then the sound disappears again. I'm sure it's not supposed to work like that?

Edited by henrikgo

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to improve the resolution of the mod matrix meter mode? (The feature itself as it is now is already ultra-cool, btw.)

Currently it uses only 3 LEDs vertically to display the OSC values... maybe it´s a hardware or performance restriction, but wouldn´t it be nice to use 7 LEDs instead to visualize those nice sinus and other movements even better?

Thanks and bye,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

• 2 weeks later...

It will use the full range once (for example) the LFO depth *and* the modulation path depth is set to maximum value.

I could add a special parameter for adjusting the scaling, but I fear that nobody will really use it (and/or most will be confused about the parameter as some are already confused about the mysterious meter features at all ;)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 4 months later...

RC38 is available now:

RC38:
o optimized MBNet Handler for fast external access to SID registers

o added DEFAULT_CC32_FILTER switch to setup_*.asm - it filters CC#32 for
programs which send this CC always together with CC#0 on bank changes

o support for "extended SysEx dump" - see also mbsidv2_sysex_implementation.txt

o filter mode/channel and waveform flags can now be optionally passed to
J5 (configuration has to be done in setup_*.asm file)

o (only for Multi Engine): "W+16" flag - waveform can be changed from
offset +16 of the wavetable, in combination with another parameter
(such as #249), it's possible to control pitch and waveform from
a single WT track
[/code]

Note: due to the new MBNet Handler it's strongly recommended to update the firmware on all cores!

Just use the cloning function: press&hold menu while power-on the MBSID and wait until firmware cloning is started.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I have some trouble with Super Poly Voice mode and AOut_NG. When SPV is selected it seems like the CV data is not forwarded to voice 2-4. The SID voices play but the SSM2044s and SSM2164s connected to core 2-4 via 3 AOut_NG are not updated? When playing on the keyboard the first voice (AOut_NG connected to Core 1, then to a SSM2044 and a SSM2164) plays normal, then there is 3 "holes", then first voice plays again.

Best regards

Magnus

Hi.

I don't have any controll surface and is using the Midibox SID editor. But there was some problem with my midi setup when I was usnig Miditrix. When I conected the midi directly to the GM5 Midi-module it was working. :-)

Magnus

• 8 months later...

No, this is no april fool: MIDIbox SID V2 has left beta state after 5 years!!! ;-)

(I removed the RC (release candidate) prefix)

With V0.039 the LFO MIDI Clock synchronization has been improved, and the SysEx handling has been optimized for bidirectional communication with the upcoming Ctrlr based Editor.

From the ChangeLog:

V2.039:
o LFO MIDI Clock Sync has been overworked, it now supports 32 different
rates from 16 bars to 1/32 notes including triple and dotted delays!

If the CSn flag enabled the available rates are:
0=LFO disabled, 8=16 bars, 16=14 bars, 24=12 bars, 32=10 bars,
40=9 bars, 48=8 bars, 56=7 bars, 64=6 bars, 72=5 bars, 80=4 bars,
88=3.5 bars, 96=3 bars, 104=2.5 bars, 112=2 bars, 120=1.5 bars,
128=1 bar, 136=1/2., 144=1/1T, 152=1/2, 160=1/4., 168=1/2T,
176=1/4, 184=1/8., 192=1/4T, 200=1/8, 208=1/16., 216=1/8T,
224=1/16, 232=1/32., 240=1/16T, 248=1/32

Note that in MIDI Sync mode, the LFO Delay won't work because
the appr. resource is used as MIDI clock counter.

o current bank and patch number won't be changed anymore on direct RAM
access via SysEx
[/code]

And here a preview of the new editor:

mbsid_ctrlr_panel1.png

Currently all Lead Engine + Ensemble parameters (more than 1000!!!) can be accessed.

The remaining engines will be implemented tomorrow, thereafter the panel should be ready for release. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

problem to recompile V2.039, it's me? see screen print

It's related to an assembler bug in an older gpasm version.

Which version number is displayed with "gpasm --version"?

I'm using:

mbp:midibox_sid_v2_039 TK$ gpasm --version
gpasm-0.13.7 beta
mbp:midibox_sid_v2_039 TK$ make
rm -rf *.cod *.lst *.err
rm -rf *.hex
gpasm -p p18f4685 -I./src -I ./include/asm -I ./include/share -I ./modules/j5_io -I ./modules/aout setup_6581.asm
gpasm -p p18f4685 -I./src -I ./include/asm -I ./include/share -I ./modules/j5_io -I ./modules/aout setup_8580.asm
gpasm -p p18f4685 -I./src -I ./include/asm -I ./include/share -I ./modules/j5_io -I ./modules/aout setup_sammich_sid.asm
gpasm -p p18f4685 -I./src -I ./include/asm -I ./include/share -I ./modules/j5_io -I ./modules/aout setup_tk.asm
gpasm -p p18f4685 -I./src -I ./include/asm -I ./include/share -I ./modules/j5_io -I ./modules/aout setup_tk2.asm
gpasm -p p18f4685 -I./src -I ./include/asm -I ./include/share -I ./modules/j5_io -I ./modules/aout setup_mb6582.asm
gpasm -p p18f4685 -I./src -I ./include/asm -I ./include/share -I ./modules/j5_io -I ./modules/aout sid_filter_table.asm
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.