MIDIbox SID V2 Release + Feedback

TK.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, then directly try out rc4 this evening (link: see first article of this thread)

The number of SRIOs is now configurable in the setup_*.asm file, and it's 10 by default

The settings for TK_OPTION and USE_SINKDRIVER has vanished.

Now there is only a variation between MB6582 and "normal" approach anymore.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

If the menu button is directly connected to the DIN (no usage of a button matrix), the button has to be pressed while the MBSID version number is displayed. Just press it multiple times to ensure that the event will be notified...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

great application.. i'd checked out the box last weekend.

I've only a question to the matrix (for easier work):

it's possible to pre-selected the assigned EG or LFO, while pushing the horizontal buttons of the matrix (like in old application)? so that i've a direct access to current activated option.

Pressing the Modulation Source buttons (horizontal row of buttons) jumps the menu to the corresponding modulation row. Holding Shift button while pressing Modulation Source buttons jumps the menu to the default modulation source (i.e. Env1, Env2, LFO1, LFO2, etc).

So... I've only got 1 6581 sid chip so far.

I'd like to do the stereo setup using 2 of the sid's but... i should prolly have 8580's in there instead so... I need to track down 1 more 6581 and 2 8580's... it's getting hard these days. I can't see spending 40 bucks on a commodore just to ge 1 chip that might be the wrong one I'm looking for anyway, lol.

Now... is it safe to start working on the V2 one? I'd rather be able to have 4 seperate mono signals or 2 stereo's using a pair of each of the different chips.

I just saw it is in beta so... Just making sure the partslist are all finalized so I can start on this baby! Thanks so much guys! :D

MBSID V2.0 has already reached its final state; currently the release candidates will be published with the last bugfixes of corner cases (which most people wouldn't notice anyhow). Just today I found an imperfection in the drum voice allocation when Mono mode is activated.

It's fixed in rc6

Best Regards, Thorsten.

RC6 is giving me issues during the cloning process.  It perfoms the cloning on core 2 then hang when it gets to "waiting for reset".  Eventually it times out and boots up with a * on core 2.  I've tested by switching back to RC5 and it works perfectly.

If you'd like any more information on the issue, just let me know.  The situation is 100% repeatable.

I haven't changed something on the cloning mechanism in any rc* release

Could you please try the following: press the MENU button once the MBSID version number is displayed (don't press is during the boot process). This ensures that all cores are ready for receiving the update request.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

hmm no change when I wait for the "Mios V1.9f" display before pressing menu

it clones (the address counts up)

then its get stuck on

Cloning Slave 01

Waiting for Reset

If I got back to RC5, this part works perfectly.  It moves on to Cloning to the other slaves.

If I reboot it, the application will show SID 2's status as * and it wont let me select it.

I'd try to debug it further myself, but I havent had the time to get the compiler working yet.

I just switched to using the jumper method and I've noticed another strange thing

When I've used the jumper method before I could swear that the core 1 would be aware of the update and not continue to boot up.  When I switched the jumper to core 2 and uploaded to device ID 1, I noticed that core 1 continued to boot right into the SID V2 app.  Is that normal?

Thanks for the help TK

More info:

Now that I've used the jumper method to attempt to update Cores 2, 3, and 4  It seems clear that RC6 is simply not run on my cores 2, 3, or 4 at all.

I've updated each one, and the MIOS Studio transfer said each transfer went fine "Upload process complete" with all checksums OK, but now when I boot I see

E002|A001 Ld  Chn. 1

1***|Lead Patch

It will not switch to any SID other than 1.

Strange indeed.

It definitely is strange, as nobody has reported this issue before. There are only 4 lines of additional code I inserted into RC6, and it's only related to voice allocation.

Today I checked typical cases which could lead to such effects, e.g. uploading setup_mb6582.hex instead of setup_tk.hex, reviewing the code at the 64k boundary, uploading rc5/rc6 and back to rc5 - but I wasn't able to reproduce this.

Please: could anybody who uses a MB6582 please confirm, that cloning is still working, and that the slave cores are running?

Narwhal: it could be helpful to know the MBNet and application state - just create a SRAM dump of 0x000 (range 0x80) and 0x600 (range 0x80) with MIOS Studio as shown in this picture:

sram_read.png

and copy&paste the hex output into your posting.

Note that I've selected device ID 1 at the left upper corner. The MIDI output is jumpered accordingly.

It would also be interesting to know, why you are waiting for the MIOS boot screen instead of the MBSID version number screen as suggested. This screen follows after the MIOS boot screen. Could it be, that it is not shown on your setup?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

First the good news: I did get it working just fine, more on that below.

Tk, Sorry I misunderstood which boot screen you were asking me to press the menu button on.  For several updates now it has always worked even when I held it down as I flipped the power switch on.  Also of note, is that until today, I've always uploaded new application using "wait for upload request before starting" then powering on the Mb-6582.  The first thing I tried today is holding the button later in the MB-6582 app version boot screen and it still didnt work.  I'll use your recommended method from now on.

I am using setup_mb6582.HEX just to clarify because I don't think I've specified that in previous posts.  I am uploading this to my MB-6582, so I assume that is the correct app.

Just for kicks I've uploaded setup_tk.hex - clearly not the app I want.  BUT!!! when I uploaded setup_mb6582.hex after this and then pressed menu at the time you suggest.. IT WORKED!  I must have had something in memory really hosing things up, that got cleared out by uploading another application.

If I can get it back into that weird state again, I'll dump the SRAM for you.  So far its downgraded and upgraded between RC5 and RC6 and is cloning fine on both now.  Not sure what qualifies for Wilba's *WHACK* but I could give this box a few right now :-)

Good to hear!

Not sure what qualifies for Wilba's *WHACK* but I could give this box a few right now :-)

*whack* is the reminder I give people so they know I'm smiling and making a joke, not being serious or intentionally insulting them.

While TK's MB-SID V2 is brilliant programming, it's not an artificial intelligence and does not perceive humour nor can it be offended, therefore MB-6582 does not require a *whack*. However, in future you should try waving a dead chicken over hardware that doesn't work. Some people think this is just an idiom, but I actually use a real chicken *whack*

Yeh, JimP has a problem with smilies, since I pointed out that smilies were a necessary evil (so people know you're joking when they can't see your face), these goons have started replacing a smiley with *whack*. Personally I think the lead fumes are kicking in! ;D Long live the smiley!

The dead chook is extremely effective though, and thanks for the link Wilba that site is great !

However, in future you should try waving a dead chicken over hardware that doesn't work.

This excellent advice, voodoo is my go-to approach when I have a problem that I cant seem to track down.  Some cigar smoke, a little hair, and chicken (in live, fried, or nugget form) and bam, problem is solved.  I believe the technical term for this is HPFM (hocus pocus, focking magic)

*whack*

@tk: I've the SID V2 application running on a second device with a 2x16 LCD (So i switched in mode 4 in asm). The problem is following:

1. if i rotate the "depth" encoder of LFO, it will not shown on Display (the LCD switched not to the correct visual position).

2. the main menu shows a ">" on the right side. But i can't choose the menu options because the "menu" encoder will change the "ensemble".

3. Filter:

------

Why 6581 SIDs are pre-defined in asm from 000 to 600? Hiigher values than 600, will change the filter too, at my 6581R3 and normal 6581 SIDs and gives more range for LFOs...

4. Filter 6581R4:

---------------

if i use 2x 6581R4 SIDs, instead 2xR3 -> nothing will be heard on same SID boards, if i activate Low- and bandpass for both sids. only in HP area some noises are noticable.. Is there a reason for that behaviour?  Someone notices the same?

5. Volume

---------

is it possible to give the volume more range? If i activate them with LFo, i only notice very small changes (independent from sid type)

I'm about to order parts for my v2 sid to be and I"m wondering...

Do you guys reccomend only using the 8580's now adays with v2 or

would it still be okay to use 2 8580's for a stereo pair

and then a pair of 6581's.

I only have 1 8581 sid right now and I have to get all the solder off the legs.

so i'm in the hunt for chips. Thanks! :)

1. if i rotate the "depth" encoder of LFO, it will not shown on Display (the LCD switched not to the correct visual position).

Ok, a variation for CS_MENU_DISPLAYED_ITEMS == 4 has to be added to cs_menu_enc_table.inc

the main menu shows a ">" on the right side. But i can't choose the menu options because the "menu" encoder will change the "ensemble".

hm! sh* happened - for this I don't know a solution yet

/edit: discussion here: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=10039.0

Why 6581 SIDs are pre-defined in asm from 000 to 600?

they are pre-defined to 0..fff in setup_6581.asm

Hiigher values than 600, will change the filter too, at my 6581R3 and normal 6581 SIDs and gives more range for LFOs...

I guess that you made an error by uploading setup_8580.asm instead of setup_6581.asm?

In this case, a "virgin ensemble bankstick" will be completely initialized with the default values for 8580

So, you need to change the correct range manually now

is it possible to give the volume more range? If i activate them with LFo, i only notice very small changes (independent from sid type)

just increase the depth of the modulation path - it's 64 by default, max value is 127

Best Regards, Thorsten.