Midibox LC minimal setup

jrp

Hi

On the MIDIBOX LC Faq page the minimum requiraments include a lot of buttons and stuff.

Wouldn´t it be possible to ommit a lot of these things?

Eg, in my case it would be cool to remote just the basic functions, since i mix analog and use my sequencer just for recording and cutting.

So what i like to have is:

Transport functions,

Scrub wheel,

Locator buttons,

Zoom buttons,

Record, mute and solo buttons for 8 or 16 channels.

Channel switch button

Maybe this could even be handy without an LCD, just with leds showing if a channel is on or off or in recording mode.

Don´t know if cubase or logic can tell the MBox what Leds have to be on or off...

So can i build the thing with the LC software and just ommit the elements i don´t need?

That is motorfaders, encoders, unneeded Din Dout modules.

Possible?

Possible?

Yes and No

Yes:

Transport functions,

Locator buttons (ADD, NEXT, PREVIOUS),

Zoom buttons,

Record, mute and solo buttons for 8 channels (for 16 channels you'll need a second lc),

Channel (and/or Bank-) switch button

No:

Scrub wheel (a JogWheel yes, scrub no)

You can omit the elements you don't need.

But if you don't use display(s) you won't  know which channels are active at the moment

Don´t know if cubase or logic can tell the MBox what Leds have to be on or off...

Yes, Cubase tells the LC everything .... (what a Mackie-Controller must know).

You can do mostly of your setup. You'll just have to custimize the firmware a little, just to tell the MIDIbox what you have and what not. Don't be afraid ... thats mainly no problem.

greets

Doc

Thanks

A jog wheel is what i ment...

Cool

Well, about the lcd: If my sequencer project contains 24 audio chanels and i rarly use any more this should be not so hard. All i would need is a 3 leds showing me which set of 8 chs is on my controller at the moment.

I don´t use fader groups and stuff.

Well, about the lcd: If my sequencer project contains 24 audio chanels and i rarly use any more this should be not so hard. All i would need is a 3 leds showing me which set of 8 chs is on my controller at the moment.

Thats the point. As far as i know, there is no message from the host to show in 3 leds which channels are active....

I think, the LC itself don't know also which channels are under active control.

greets

Doc

Well, this could be so nice...

But one day... waiting for the time when interfacing finally works as the user excpects...

maybe midi is overcome

maybe often what it can do is just not used

maybe steinberg just isn´t there yet

maybe i should shut my mouth

Well, don't put your head in the sand.

Maybe there is a way to do it.

When I say: "I don't know how to do this..."  this does NOT mean it's impossible. Maybe someone else can help you finding a solution for your problem.

greets

Doc

Hi stryd_one,

it can't be displayed on LCD. On LCD you'll see track names in the selected order, transmitted from the host.

There's no LCD Screen, where it says "You'll know see channel 1 to 8 or 10 to 18".

greets

Doc

so when you move a fader it sends the track name to identify itself?

I'm just trying to figure out how tracks are specified and communicated to each end...

There is no identification of tracks. The whole intelligence is in the host. In a 8-Fader setup, the host just tells the controller what Track-Names to display on the 8 faders - When you switch the bank, the host again sends the new tracknames to the fader-controller but the controller does not know which 8 tracks of the DAW project he's controlling.

Greets, Roger

There is no identification of tracks. The whole intelligence is in the host. In a 8-Fader setup, the host just tells the controller what Track-Names to display on the 8 faders - When you switch the bank, the host again sends the new tracknames to the fader-controller but the controller does not know which 8 tracks of the DAW project he's controlling.

Thanks Roger,

thats what I wanted to tell all the time.

greets

Doc