Need help removing a SID chip

dubka

Put a small flathead screwdriver under one of the short edges of the chip and lift it just a millimeter or so. Do the  same thing from the other side. Keep slightly lifting each side until the chip is out of the socket.

At least that's how I usually remove DIP packaged chips from sockets. Just be careful and you'll be OK.

Slightly bent legs can usually just be bent back without any problems (just in case you're a bit heavy handed with the screwdriver).

41104.gif

DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE. These are so goddamn cheap that there's no reason why you shouldn't have one. Also, it's a good idea to use an extra IC socket when you plug SID into your PCB, as then it's a lot easier to remove while you're testing/building your MB-SID. Once it's all working, you can plug the SID in directly.

Okay, sounds good BUT I don't understand the bit about the extra IC socket...

Wilba - do you mean plug the SID into an IC socket and then plug that into the IC socket on the pcb?

Confused,

Martin

ps - I actually sent this original post 5 minutes after breaking the leg off an eprom in my Sequential Circuits Drumtraks whilst trying to remove it with a screwdriver.  It was so wedged in and then, all of a sudden, it flew out across the table with legs bent all over the place.  The breakage occurred trying to (carefully) bend the legs back.  Luckily it was the chip with Cowbell and Cabasa.  Still a bit gutted...

hints:

One screwdriver on each side if you must avoid using the correct tool - ALWAYS lift it straight up, never lift one side higher than the other

Warm pins before bending

Never bend oxidised pins, period. If they aren't shiny, no bendy.

You can always solder wire (or a new pin if the IC is used with a ZIF socket) onto the bare metal scar where the pin used to be attached (it won't go deep into the ceramic, probably it will snap off at the edge of the ceramic if not further down the leg). Be quick or you'll fry it!

I had to straighten the bent pins on my neighbour's P4 last week.... I swear I was panicking so bad!!! I must've warned him 100 times that I was in all likelyhood about to finish the chip off for good, either by static or by breakage :-\ But... it's good!

There is a home made tool for this job - I had to invent it for similar reasons, though the chip said "TRW" and had their kind of price tag.

Take a wide bore hypodermic needle or a piercing cannula. Use a fine grinder or Dremel disc to cut it off square, (they have angled points). Put on your earth strap. Slip the bore over the pin and gently crank it straight, repeat as needed. Lecture miscreant about cost of chip, say "Uh-Oh!" a few times whilst doing the job to panic them.

Some cannulas are full tubes with a square end - in that case a cork pushed onto the point is a good idea, then use the other end. My local piercing shop still doesn't believe what I wanted them for.....

I used a butter knife to take my sid chip out. Just slid it under and gently pulled, then switched to the other side. Just work very slowly and don't use a lot of pressure. But the best is to get a IC extractor. You know, I think even have one of them, but for some reason "butter knife" was what came into my head at the time.

Nice tip mike, I never saw that before!

...Lecture miscreant...

LMAO

Just slid it under and gently pulled, then switched to the other side. Just work very slowly and don't use a lot of pressure. But the best is to get a IC extractor. You know, I think even have one of them, but for some reason "butter knife" was what came into my head at the time.

Gotta watch out for that repeated side-side thing hey... that's a recipe for breaking a weak pin off... in the socket. Bad. Only a fool would do that. It took me I mean it would take hours to get the pin out. If you did it. Which I didn't. Honest, it must've been one of the other techs. ;D