MB-6582 PCB Order ***IMPORTANT UPDATE***

Wilba

I am closing the sale of the spare PCBs for now.

This is to simplify my management and to make sure that people on the list for spares have some relative certainty that they are getting a PCB and can join in bulk orders.

If you have not ordered PCBs yet then please wait until I post here that I am accepting orders again. There is a 99% chance that I will arrange another batch of PCBs and sell them here again. The responsibility is on you to watch for new posts on this thread.

This is the new thread to discuss the ordering of MB-6582 PCBs.

Information about the PCBs, required parts, specifications, etc. can be found here:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wilba_mb_6582

There are plenty of spares available for this bulk order. You just need to contact me to get on the list. Base PCB is US$20. Control Surface PCB is US$20. 7-pin DIN Socket to go with base PCB is US$2.

If you have not yet ordered PCBs, then this is what you need to do:

• Read this thread entirely
  • Read the notes here
  • Contact me by email to confirm your order. Do not post your order here. My email address is Jason.S.Williams@ I HATE SPAM gmail.com

When you email me, tell me which PCBs you want (number of base PCBs, number of control surface PCBs), your MIDIbox username (if you have one) and your PayPal email address.

When I am ready to send you some PCBs, I will send a PayPal invoice for PCBs+postage. This is different to the original bulk order where people paid for PCB production in advance and only need to pay for postage.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More things people should know before they order the control surface PCB:

You can't build a box exactly like mine, but it will be pretty close.

The PLED display I used is no longer made, you will have to buy a 20x4 LCD (see specs).

The stock of the knobs I used has run out, but some more might be made, or you can use similar knobs from ALBS.de which don't have a pointer mark and have a nice soft-touch feel.

There will be a bulk order for the panels to fit the PacTec PT-10 case. These might be silk-screened instead of paint-filled engraving.

I chose 20x4 because it's got a good size.

The standard 20x4 display has narrower characters than a standard 20x2, it doesn't extend on the left/right sides (i.e. the PCB is as wide as the bezel) so this makes it fit nicely in the frontpanel. Plus, eventually I will make use of the extra two lines on the display...  ;D

I chose 20x4 because it's got a good size.

The standard 20x4 display has narrower characters than a standard 20x2, it doesn't extend on the left/right sides (i.e. the PCB is as wide as the bezel) so this makes it fit nicely in the frontpanel. Plus, eventually I will make use of the extra two lines on the display...  ;D

gotcha, didnt even notice that on the protype

I have officially closed the bulk order.

Almost everyone else has paid for their orders and it's time to actually get the batch made. People are still invited to PM me if they want these PCBs, as there might be a few spares left over, and I might get some extra ones made.

I made an "executive decision" and rather than collect orders for the 7-pin DIN socket (PCB mount) to suit the base PCB, I've just gone ahead and bought a big bag of them.

This means for everyone who is buying base PCBs, I will add one socket per PCB and will add US$2 per socket to your postage & handling invoice.

I do this for many reasons:

• You will not need to desolder the socket from a C64, which is hard to do and obviously cripples a C64 more than just removing the SID.
  • This part is the exact one that fits the PCB, I can't guarantee that other 7-pin DIN sockets have the same pin arrangement.
  • This part is rare. You will easily find panel mount sockets, and 7-pin DIN plugs (if you can't buy a C64 PSU and need to plug alternative power adapters into the 7-pin DIN socket)

SmashTV is preparing a parts bag for people building the MB-6582 base PCB, and maybe eventually he will stock this socket at a better price than US$2, but unfortunately I am stuck with local distributors and small quantities and cannot offer it any cheaper than US$2. So I am hoping that you won't mind paying a few cents more for the convenience of having this rare part in your hand when you get your base PCB and can get all the common parts from wherever you please.

I only want to hear from people who are not using the PT-10 case and definitely will not be using PCB mounted sockets. These people can email me directly. Everyone else will just get one per PCB. Do not confirm you want these sockets, only confirm you do not want them.

The other rare part, the rocker switch like the one from a C64, is not so critical, as you can substitute a cheap DPDT switch while you wait for the PacTec PT-10 case and panels and all the other bits. If you're getting your other parts from Mouser, they have this kind of switch (but it's overpriced at US$7 I think). If you're lucky, SmashTV might find a cheaper source for this switch and can sell you one.

The huge pile of cash in my PayPal account has gone off to pay for the PCBs!

I am rather impressed that the orders (plus a few spares) have reached the nice figures of:

100 pcs of MB-6582 Base PCBs

75 pcs of MB-6582 Control Surface PCBs.

If you want some of the spares, they are still available, follow instructions for ordering in the first post of this thread.

There were quite a few late orders so I've added more spares to the PCB manufacturing order... these are paid for by me so I will not need advance payment for these, I will collect payment for them plus postage when they are ready to post. However, I will not begin selling the spares until the current orders start arriving at their destinations, just in case some get damaged or lost in the post. I know that's not likely, but if it did, I'd like to have spare PCBs to offer as replacements

Yeah I got lucky with the prototype PCBs, only ordered one of each but got two, the spare base PCB made a nice present for TK  ;D

BTW I paid extra for electrical testing, which was fixed per batch so added practically nothing to the per-PCB price... maybe this means they make a little more anyway and post all that pass testing.

There were quite a few late orders so I've added more spares to the PCB manufacturing order... these are paid for by me so I will not need advance payment for these, I will collect payment for them plus postage when they are ready to post. However, I will not begin selling the spares until the current orders start arriving at their destinations, just in case some get damaged or lost in the post. I know that's not likely, but if it did, I'd like to have spare PCBs to offer as replacements

Thanks a million. This news made my day!  ;D

There are plenty of spares available for this bulk order. You just need to contact me to get on the list. Base PCB is US$20. Control Surface PCB is US$20. 7-pin DIN Socket to go with base PCB is US$2.

If you have not yet ordered PCBs, then this is what you need to do:

• Read this thread entirely
  • Read the notes here
  • Contact me by email to confirm your order. Do not post your order here. My email address is Jason.S.Williams@ I HATE SPAM gmail.com

When you email me, tell me which PCBs you want (number of base PCBs, number of control surface PCBs), your MIDIbox username (if you have one) and your PayPal email address.

When I am ready to send you some PCBs, I will send a PayPal invoice for PCBs+postage. This is different to the original bulk order where people paid for PCB production in advance and only need to pay for postage.

In other words, you can buy the extras I paid for so I don't need advance payment for production, they are already being produced.

At the rate of people ordering the spares, they might all be bought in about a week!