PacTec PT-10 Bulk order for Europe, (case for MB-6582). CLOSED

TheAncientOne

any news about these boxes?

Have you got your boards built then?

Current status.

I have paid ACAL.

The number requested was well more than their stock, (I ordered 24).

Boxes are on their way from the USA.

There will be more stock than I ordered, so, I can add a few more on, if there are any more late requesters.

Invoices will go out as soon as I have a 'packed weight' for postage.

Mike

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered and paid for them myself in September, and added a few more 10 days or  or so later. ACAL hadn't got enough in stock and are waiting on a shipment from the USA. They haven't given me an ETA yet, though, if I can finally get some time for myself during working hours next week, I'll chase them up.

I'm kind of keen to get this sorted too - I've effectively lent them £300 until I get the stock. I didn't ask for advance payments because of this, and the postage cost issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

what's up with PT10 cases ?

Still on their way from the USA, I had a word with ACAL last on Friday and the lead time was 4 weeks. They have some in stock, and I've asked the girl there if they can dispatch what they have, so I can at least get the weights etc sorted, and a few sent out. I'll know on Monday. I'm a bit iffed about this,because I was given to understand that the lead time was much less than this when I ordered. Still, they've got my cash, and I'm now waiting on Pactec themselves.

As an add-on, I've bought a batch of crystal mounting pads, to avoid problems with the via's under the crystals. If you want a set with your box, just ask, (free: I got 100 and I think they were about 0.6 pence each!).

I can't get JB Weld locally, but have found a UK distributer. I'll have to buy 6 packs minimum. With postage it will be around £6/pack. Anyone else in the UK/Europe want some?

Mike

hey prof,

man it sucks getting dicked around like that, I love the service we get to endure in the UK.

I've found the best place to get JB Weld is in smaller independent hardware stores.

You want to go for the Kwik stuff, it stays pliable for about 2 minutes after mixing, sets in just 4 minutes, and cures fully in 4 hours as opposed to the WB Weld which stays pliable for about 30 minutes after mixing, sets in 4-6 hours, and cures fully in 15-24 hours.

http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/710-29256-8196-0?loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D290173808990

£4.85 on ebay, maybe this guy would do an even better deal for multiple packs....

Can I please take advantage of your most kind offer on the crystal mounting pads.

Avoid JB-Kwik PLEASE! Get the original JB-Weld! Do not get cheap imitations!

Even the normal JB-Weld gets really tacky and gooey within a few minutes.

It takes a while to put a blob of JB-Weld on 23 spots on the panel, making sure the blob is neither too big or too small, and even with the non-Kwik stuff, towards the end the JB-Weld was a bit too gooey, like peanut butter instead of like honey.

Don't be impatient, you've just spent lots of money on these nice panels, you don't want to feel rushed in this construction stage when you're trying to be ultra careful not to make a big mess and connect the PCB and panels together slowly. I cannot imagine having a 4-minute countdown on my head trying to do 23 blobs on the panel AND THEN put the panel and PCB together. An extra 20+20 hours of just waiting (yes you need to do two separate gluing stages) might be torture but it is worth it in the end. Trust me, follow what I know works and there will be less that could go wrong.

I've updated the control surface construction guide, PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY BEFORE STARTING ANYTHING.

Avoid JB-Kwik PLEASE! Get the original JB-Weld! Do not get cheap imitations!

JB-Kiwk is from the same company as JB Weld, it's not a cheap imitation.

I've used both before and they are both amazing products. Specs in PSI for both:

Jb Weld:

Tensile Strength: 3960

Adhesion: 1800

Flex Strength: 7320

Tensile Lap Shear: 1040

Shrinkage: 0.0%

Resistant to: 500° F

JB KwiK:

Tensile Strength: 2100

Adhesion: 1800

Flex Strength: 7320

Tensile Lap Shear: 1040

Shrinkage: 0.0%

Resistant to: 300° F

I pretty sure the only difference in the products is the tube of hardener.

I can see your point about the count down to 4 mins, but that's not a problem if you mix a little at a time.

When I wrote the post I was in the middle of doing some tests with JB Weld and JB Quick, I have lots of smaller module PCBs in my box so the JB Kwik is a god send, with the MB6882 monster PCBs I will follow your advice and go with the JB weld as there a lot more points to do all at once.

As an add-on, I've bought a batch of crystal mounting pads, to avoid problems with the via's under the crystals. If you want a set with your box, just ask, (free: I got 100 and I think they were about 0.6 pence each!).

I can't get JB Weld locally, but have found a UK distributer. I'll have to buy 6 packs minimum. With postage it will be around £6/pack. Anyone else in the UK/Europe want some?

Count me in for both. But i do like 2 sets of the mounting pads.

"Do not get cheap imitations!" was just a warning not to get any other kind of metal glue.

The warning about JB-Kwik was about the fast setting time, not it's ability to hold. Even doing the corner screws, I'd allow at least a minute per screw to make sure the alignment is good (perfectly centered in the PCB hole) and add more so it covers the entire screw head.

I'm just remembering when I glued to my panel, I'd just spend a lot of money on Front Panel Express panels and was very, very careful and precise, even rehearsing the procedure to avoid a major stuff-up... I would hate for someone to stuff-up because I didn't warn them enough or explain enough about this procedure. I worked out this procedure myself with only one attempt and it all turned out well, so it should be fine... I'm just a little paranoid because not everyone is really "working it out themselves".

OK, enough hijacking...

you know wilba, I think there may be a difference with the adonising since I have had both the corner screws and stand offs pop off under strain, both times loosing bond with the panel. I think the key is to actually roughen the surface of the panel to get it to stick well with some sand paper.  I know that FPE uses pre adonised panels and machines them, these were machined/lasercut and THEN adonised

I Have Boxes!

Despite the quote of 4 weeks lead time, 20 boxes arrived today.

Invoices will be going out soon, once I have checked the 'small packet' rate at the post office.

Please let me know if you want crystal mounting pads with your order (Twin-X already noted), they are free, but I only have 22 spare sets.

If I get 6 packs of JB weld they will be £5.50 plus carriage to you. If I get 12, they will be £5 plus carriage.

To make the JB weld option go, I need 5 or 11 takers.....