4x20 Lcds for Wilbas Kit : CLOSED

Altitude

UPDATE: PLEASE READ

Ok, so I spoke with crystal fonts and they have stock of the FSTN type so it is time to start collecting money.  Discounts are on a per item basis so there will only be ONE type available for the group buy. 

This will be the CFAH2004A-YTI-JP, 20x4 FSTN Negative, Transmissive, Yellow-Green Array LED Backlight shown here:

CFAH2004AYTI_430.jpg

Pricing(assuming that we have over 20 pcs ordered): $21.00 ea.  This covers the shipping to me, my packaging costs, and paypal fees. The base price of the unit $18.73 plus a $.45 per piece handling charge and $8.50 base shipping rate.

Shipping: in addition to the $21.00 there will be a shipping fee. 

For the Continental US: USPS Flat Rate Priority ($5.00) or 1st Class Mail (Varies)

International: USPS International Priority Flat Rate ($11.00) or Airmail (Varies)

I will do this identically as Wilba did except I will add the shipping to the invoice that I send so you only have to pay once. 

So send an email to altitude909 at g m a i l dot c o m with your Name, the quantity, your shipping address, how you want it shipped, and your paypal address so that I can send you an invoice.  I would also ask international ppl to include their phone since it will be necessary for customs forms.  People without a paypal account can still pay through paypal with a credit card since I have a business account there.

I am closing orders tomorrow Aug 2 13:00 GMT and everyone needs to be paid up so I can order in the afternoon

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a very nice looking LCD, and I'd be in for one.

Sadly, the price is not as good as many LCDs sold individually on eBay.  I wonder if they could be negotiated with for a better price, or if we should try to scavenge something really cheap through an eBay vendor.

Examples:

here, here and here.

I would rather buy in with the group, so I'm in for whatever, but we should try to find better pricing than this.

Wilba, can you confirm that this model will work?

I'm pretty sure, but doesn't hurt to ask ;)

Since people are now finding parts (especally for control surface), I've updated the more critical items on the wiki:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wilba_mb_6582

... and as you can see from the wiki, I use the Crystalfontz display as a reference. Just check dimensions between the mount holes and the size of the bezel (see wiki)... if they match, it will fit. This is an "industry standard" size but there are other common sizes so you have to always check the datasheet.

I would like to join in the bulk order too, especially if I can get a more interesting display than the common yellow-green backlight.

I have that one already, and can confirm it's a beauty :)

I would like to have one CFAH2004A-RMI-JP (Red Array LED Backlight), not for the SID project (I'm going to use the blue one I have) but for something else I'm building.

I would also take 2 CFAH4002A-TMIJP (40x2 Blue/White Edge LED Backlight) if it's possible, to build a SEQ sometime.

Highly unlikely. They were a custom order from an eBay dealer who was selling this kind, but hasn't sold them since. While they look good in photos, they are blue LEDs and I only discovered after construction that you have to reduce brightness to barely visible or go blind.

My next MB-6582 will not have blue LEDs. Most likely red.

Highly unlikely. They were a custom order from an eBay dealer who was selling this kind, but hasn't sold them since. While they look good in photos, they are blue LEDs and I only discovered after construction that you have to reduce brightness to barely visible or go blind.

My next MB-6582 will not have blue LEDs. Most likely red.

I got a hundred of these also and they are WAY to bright to use and pull a lot of current.  If they made a diffuse blue I would snap those up in a second but I have found that anything but diffuse has less than good results in just about any color

Those bright blue LEDs can be made (a bit) diffuse by rubbing them with a high grain sanding paper. Also a 1K resistor in series with the LED helps limitting the current and the brightness. If the LEDs are still too bright increase the resistor even more.

I used a 10k and they still are too focused and too bright.  As much as I want to use blue, it's just too much and I have no desire to be sanding 99 LEDs