4x20 Lcds for Wilbas Kit : CLOSED

Altitude

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah you want the FSTN over the STN. It's "blacker"  ;D

My blue LEDs are diffuse, they're tinted blue semi-opaque plastic. The problem is not that they're some waterclear 20 degree view angle kind. It's that blue light is very harsh on the eyes.

I can't decide which display to get, please remind me later (I have a lot of other things to work on at the moment!)

Suggestion: can the "default" option be the "CFAH2004A-YTI-JP" so if you can't get a pricebreak for mixed colours etc. then at least get a good deal on this one in bulk? It's probably as close to the PLED as possible (if you like the PLED).

I see your point with the bright blue LED's.... But green or yellow LED's + matching screen would be of my interest then...

(I'm colorblind, so I'm having a bit of a problem sometimes with red LED's in bright rooms.. that's why I liked those blue one's :P)

So green or Yellow PLED-like time two for me!

As it stands, there are 22 for the CFAH2004A-YMI-JP and less than 10 for all others.  Ill call crystalfontz tomorrow and find out if they will do total quantity for a discount or quantity per piece (which I figure will probably be the case) but 22 of the CFAH2004A-YMI-JP are $14.65 which is less than half of the single price

Guys please be aware that I suspect that the images you've seen may have been doctored a bit - the FSTN still only has a contrast of 5:1 which is not that high, and not that much like the PLED.

Maybe the datasheet was not changed from the STN type... Maybe the camera or lighting had beneficial conditions... There are lots of good reasons for this, but I think that it might be worth a few lines in an email asking about viewing angle and contrast measurements etc.

I would order quite a few of these if I could confirm a higher contrast ratio, and if they were available in 2x20 and maybe 2x40 :-\

hehehe yes...

Maybe Altitude is quite happy to turn this into a "Bulk order of Crystalfontz LCDs of any size and colour".

Maybe he is not, and is too polite to remind people this is a bulk order for "4x20 LCDs for Wilba's Kit"  ;)

Maybe my opinion counts for nothing, but this really ought to be a bulk order for one kind of LCD (say the green-on-black FSTN kind) which might get over 20 orders, and if people want the other kinds, then they miss out on the price break but might get cheaper shipping (I hear Crystalfontz charges stupid rates).

FYI, the white-on-blue kind are plentiful on eBay, just search for "20x4 LCD", you can't miss them. People wanting those kinds should just buy them now!

hehehe yes...

Maybe Altitude is quite happy to turn this into a "Bulk order of Crystalfontz LCDs of any size and colour".

Maybe he is not, and is too polite to remind people this is a bulk order for "4x20 LCDs for Wilba's Kit"  ;)

Maybe my opinion counts for nothing, but this really ought to be a bulk order for one kind of LCD (say the green-on-black FSTN kind) which might get over 20 orders, and if people want the other kinds, then they miss out on the price break but might get cheaper shipping (I hear Crystalfontz charges stupid rates).

FYI, the white-on-blue kind are plentiful on eBay, just search for "20x4 LCD", you can't miss them. People wanting those kinds should just buy them now!

Your right, this is quickly spiraling out of control.  I will give them a call as soon as they open (they are 4 hours apart from me) and see what stock and delivery is on the FSTN ones.  I seriously doubt that they will give any discount to low part count displays and short of the original one that I posted, there is not 10 total of any one of the others ppl have asked about so those would not have any discount anyway.  Like Wilba said, the LED blue ones are dirt cheap on the bay.  The FSTN ones retail for $35 and with a group buy, they would be ~$19

Once I have the stock and delivery situation figured out , I will try to get this wrapped up quick so I can get Wilba's to him so he can be on the same page as everyone who is on this since I am assuming that he has not finalized the panels yet.