Data SID synth

Sasha

This is my latest creation. You all know what I modified. :) Not completely finished as I need to wait Saturday to buy DIN connectors.

Mechanical counter will be put back in place and power LED needs to be connected.

Leaver of mechanical buttons are used to activate micro switches mounted at the same button holder plate that is cut out of the rest of the mechanics. Doors are swapped with piece of "smoked" transparent acrylic that is masked at the back and rest is sprayed with black paint. Only masked center for display is left clear. Writings are engraved and filled with acrylic paint. I add 4 hex screws more for aesthetically reasons than even they are holding the door against the rest of the casing. I need to think of some name for it to add it between door and buttons, so if you have some cool name for it in your mind you are welcome to propose it. Or I`ll call it just Data SID...

Here are few pix...

965774834_1af11d5f55.jpg

965774670_b2e9d48b33.jpg

965774544_07e00caa7a.jpg

965774552_c67ad254d9.jpg

"Press Play" don`t sounds much like name to me, but it would be really cool as a sticker on it. I thought of adding it on LCD bootscreen. About the 1530... well, I already have 6581 on door, so it will be too much of noumbers. Thank you for your proposition.

"Press Play" don`t sounds much like name to me, but it would be really cool as a sticker on it. I thought of adding it on LCD bootscreen. About the 1530... well, I already have 6581 on door, so it will be too much of noumbers. Thank you for your proposition.

I was referring to the C64 term PRESS PLAY ON TAPE

adding that to the bootscreen would be quite cool ;)

I have enough problems thinking up names for my own projects, let alone thinking of names for others. Why don't you just let it as is, 6581 is nice enough?

Thanks Sepp. Der Brat is yours... one of the olders SIDs around. :) I was looking for drive like yours at flea market after I saw how it can looks good, but I had no luck finding one. I found one from Atari, made whole out of plastic but I dont like it so much.

Oh man, no... I`m modest. It would be too much... I just made nice case mod, nothing more... what is under the hood is what counts.

If you look with recycling eyes, inspiration comes easily. But, often recycling makes something looks trashy, like my Woody synth which is made that way deliberately, but personally I prefer something much finer.

Thank you all, very much. I didn`t expected you will like it that much.

...Lord of Recycle I`m honored Mike!

I challenge you to make the mechanical counter show the patch number!

I wanted to use bourns hollow encoder and connect it with belt to the counter, just for fun, but I gave up because I didnt like the quality of that encoder very much.

Thank you guys. I love non-stop marker myself, and whenever I look at this synth I hear Kraftwerk in my head. Nice association. :)

I think for name I will go something like DATA SID, or LOAD!

@Jaicen

Integrating commodore watch instead of mechanical counter would be really cool, but even if I could do it, those watches are pretty expensive and would be really bad to kill just for that. C64 cannot do much useful things today, but watch is always useful, especially if it`s geeky commodore watch.

@Jaicen

Integrating commodore watch instead of mechanical counter would be really cool, but even if I could do it, those watches are pretty expensive and would be really bad to kill just for that. C64 cannot do much useful things today, but watch is always useful, especially if it`s geeky commodore watch.

I've still got a few LED calculator displays in 4 digit modules, if you want to try one of them. You could cheat an use one of the self scan 4 character LED displays that HP or Siemens did.

Might look fairly cool