MB-6582 Panels Order

Wilba

Or you could get diffuse LED's and sand the tops down level with the control surface. Pretty easy and effective if you ask me, though I prefer the oldskool look.

Well, I used

You can get 3mm cylindrical LEDs, these would be flat at the top but still have enough plastic above the actual diode to diffuse the light. If you file the dome off a 3mm round LED, it doesn't diffuse anymore, you see a bright spot in the centre.

One cheap method of a diffuser/light pipe would be to put masking tape on the front of the panel and then filling LED holes with epoxy or a silicone gap filler. I think Sasha did a trick like this for illuminated panel holes, search the forum...

panell and subpanell. Never

Well, I never filled the holes. I left them opened with illuminated white sub-panel underneath. I wonder will gap filling have some holes. Never did any testing with this actually, but I have that on my mind. I dont think silicone would be good for the use, but epoxy might do the trick.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Overall, the first layout is more clear.

I like the fact that the text in the second mockup is on a label, but i think the slant doesn't look nice because there is a line above it that is not always the same length. I would keep the label, but remove the slant and the line above it. It would look cleaner if this label was the same size everywhere, but you'd probably have to abbreviate some names. Oscillator could be osc for example. I added a pic to explain what i've written here.

sid_thumb.JPG

sid.JPG

As in the original, the line ties the group together.

I agree that the line doesn't look that good when it's short (i.e. when the label is long) so maybe to maintain the look, and make the slant plus line look good everywhere, I might abbreviate ENVELOPE to ENV, OSCILLATOR to OSC and use a narrower font, closer matched to the original. But I won't get rid of the slant or line. (That's what I meant earlier by "this won't degenerate into design-by-committee")

I have contemplated doing just a control surface PCB and panels for MBFM... using the PT-10 case, and putting in a Core and OPL3 module inside the case and using panel-mount sockets on the rearpanel.

That project is 2nd on my list though... next on the list is an MB-SEQ V3 control panel/PCB combo using the same construction method as the MB-6582. That design will be suitable for a 19" rack case or a desktop version like the P3 with wood endcheeks.

Cool, that's my next project as well.  Already started gathering components.

Any way I can help?

I like the slant.

What i don't like is the letter I you used. They are not everywhere the same and look odd to me on all placed. Did you use a line or the font that goes with them?

I notice the letter "I" is fatter than other strokes when zoomed out, but zoomed in, it is the same width. Try zooming in on an "I" and compare to other letters.

This is an Adobe Reader artifact, I think, because the "I" looks fine in the drawing package, and when printed.

I have contemplated doing just a control surface PCB and panels for MBFM... using the PT-10 case, and putting in a Core and OPL3 module inside the case and using panel-mount sockets on the rearpanel.

I really like that idea.  I would love to have a MBFM cosmetically matched to the MB SID.  The PT-10 strikes me as a great tweakers' box, so I'd be all over it.

That project is 2nd on my list though... next on the list is an MB-SEQ V3 control panel/PCB combo using the same construction method as the MB-6582. That design will be suitable for a 19" rack case or a desktop version like the P3 with wood endcheeks.

I feel the same as the previous poster who suggested that it would be nice to see a MBSEQ with an integrated LED/button matrix in one slick enclosure.  My other wish would be an 80-character wide LCD, to overcome the split "two groups of 8" design most people have used so far.

Opinions, of course, are like assholes - everybody's got one.  I'm sure whatever you design will be awesome.

No more talk about "MB-SEQ V3 control panel/PCB combo".

You will only get depressed to know it will be probably six months before I finalize a panel design, layout a PCB to match, get prototype PCBs made and expensive one-off panels, build it, etc.

I shouldn't have opened my mouth about it...  ;)

Continuing a small hijack here.

I figure the PT-10 as pretty ideal for medium projects as well.

I think I can get an AVRx into one. Elby Designs do a panel for the AVRsynth in a PT-10 too

Which means one could have a matching "WilbaBeast", x0xb0x, MBFM, AVRx and AVRsynth. . . .

Don't forget the FatMan!  http://www.nuxx.net/wiki/PAiA_FatMan_Plus

I'm planning to put together a MIDIbox64e in a PT-10 as well...

Doug

http://www.analognotes.com

http://www.stoogepanels.com

http://www.dougwellington.com

• 2 weeks later...