Midibox by Andymann

andymann

Hi everybody,

first of all the obligatory...

!!great work thorsten, many thanks for this beautiful piece of ....thing!!

This is my Box which is based on the Midibox64. It was finished already about two ears ago but I never had the time (nor a proper use for it...built it just out of curiousity) to put it online.

midibox002.jpg

Right now it is supporting my dj desk as a control interface for the 'torq' software. (Loop Points, key-correction, cue markers.....)

midibox001.jpg

I added an 'expansion-port' at the backside because i only used 32 a/d inputs. now whenever i might need more i can easily add 32 more of each via an easy-to-build adapter.

midibox003.jpg

more pictures about the process of building and all my other projects as well can be found on my website (partly bilingual, most still in german only...)

http://www.doktor-andy.de/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=55&lang=en

best regards!

andy

Andy, cool box. I like the panel, and your website. To bad the English flag takes you nowhere.  ;D

In your place, I would definitely use standard knob for crossfader... like the one you have on your mixer. I find the fader knob you used very unergonomic for horizontal movements. Oh, yes... nice e-drums. Very compact!

One question... Who make faders you used for your box? How they feels? Thx

Sasha

yeah the faders..... :P

these are one of the 2 mistakes i made when building the box.

the faders are the cheap-o's from http://www.pollin.de (order nr. 240 116, 0.25€ each) and they really suck. at the outer points they are quite hard to move and some even get stuck, around the center the feeling is rather ok, but there is lots of flicker, especially at the crossfader. every fader has a different feeling....i had 2 old crossfaders from a pioneer djm600 lying around here and didn't use them which makes it even worse from the constructor's point of view...maybe this will be a sensible expansion for the remaining inputs..

the faders turned out to be not that ergonomic/useful/necessary but when i did the design i wanted to have something like a mixing desk. after all this can be used rather well for any sorts of music software since everything's (more or less) designed the same way...from ableton live to propellerhead's reason (somehow).

thanks for appreciating my site, put a lot of work into it...

the english flag only takes you to places where i had the time to translate the content. try -for example- the 'network something'....it's great, too!  ;)

I added an 'expansion-port' at the backside because i only used 32 a/d inputs. now whenever i might need more i can easily add 32 more of each via an easy-to-build adapter.

nice! i also got used to leave some spare I/Os with a connector for future development, but i use stereo minijacks for this purpose: 1 jack can have 2 DIN or 1 AIN, and the good thing is that when you unplug a AIN it will automatically take it to ground..

simone