SRs wired parallel?

groovereiter

Hi, after two years I'm close to finish my LC now.

It consists of two units with one core. One Unit is the mixer and assignment part and the other is a small one with the right hand side of the LC with the MTC display, jogwheel, transport- and function buttons.

My problem is, that I want some buttons to be present on both units. But since my LC is fully loaded there are not enough shift registers left to define them twice. I guess it isn't possible anyway to define two pins to the same function in the lc_io_table.inc.

Now the question:

is it possible to wire the serial chain line parallel to two SR's so that they both are handled as SR number 6 and if I push the play button on SR6a both play-LEDs on SR6a and SR6b light up?

I'm REALLY hardly trying to avoid building another core for the second unit, at first I'm trying to save money (for the MFs & the upcoming MB64E built into my M-Audio Keystation 8)) and second, what is much more important, there is no space for a core in the small unit and the cases including panels are handworked out of metal. I definitively don't want to build such a case again. Never ever. No way.  :P

Thanks in advance

Now the question:

is it possible to wire the serial chain line parallel to two SR's so that they both are handled as SR number 6 and if I push the play button on SR6a both play-LEDs on SR6a and SR6b light up?

... why don't you just wire the buttons (Buttons-B) to the same pins as Buttons-A? - This should work.

I guess it isn't possible anyway to define two pins to the same function in the lc_io_table.inc.

... in an answer to this question, I would be interested too.  :)

Greets, Roger

Thanks for your answer.

... why don't you just wire the buttons (Buttons-B) to the same pins as Buttons-A? - This should work.

The reason is quite simple, I would need 16 extra wires for the buttons and leds in the cable between the two units. Together with all the power/ground, SR lines and the wires for the assignment display this would be a quite fat cable. I fear this would also heavily increase the latency because the DIN registers are read periodically. Currently I'm using an old monitor cable (18 wires).