Altitude

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent news, well, sort of...

Personally i'd much rather wait, I can't get on with that artwork at all, it looks terribly amateurish, nowhere near as professional looking as Wilba's.

Are you/we going to be compensated by FPE in any way for the delay??

These are not from FPE, the best quote from FPE was $90 per set and $130 at the one off price. This is the place that does the x0xb0x panels.  They did accept the panels for redo without question so thats really the best they can do.  Should only be a week or so before i get them back

I guess we can't complain too loudly, however they have delivered a product that is significantly off-spec. Have you checked that the milling has been done correctly? ie, everything fits!

Personally I think that 'the best they can do' is to get it right in the first place!! Accepting them back for re-screening goes without question.

I guess we can't complain too loudly, however they have delivered a product that is significantly off-spec. Have you checked that the milling has been done correctly? ie, everything fits!

Personally I think that 'the best they can do' is to get it right in the first place!! Accepting them back for re-screening goes without question.

All dimensions have checked out fine. 

Ahh craaapp so I missed out on this... is there a design file I could use to get the panels printed myself by a local company, or something?  Or else maybe there will be another group buy on these?  Heh..  :\  S'what I get for showing up late to the party, eh?  ;)

The silkscreen artwork on the wiki:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582

is outdated, it is missing the section dividing lines on the front panel and extra labels on the rear panel.

I will update it soon.

However this might not help you much anyway, one-off silkscreening would cost a bomb. If you want a one-off made by Schaeffer or Front Panel Express then use the FPD files as a base... I should probably double-check they are correct before you order anything.

Ahh thanks for that info.  I did see your FPD files, but that didn't seem to really match what I was seeing on the recent panels group-buy.. I guess i could always edit the file to match more closely, but then that's risky because it might not match the PCB properly.      Well, I guess if you DO update the file(s)  , please post somewhere on the forum to let us know...  I know you are super busy so I don't expect that of course but it would be awesome.  As for it being pricy to get the PCBs/panels made one-off, well, the MB-6582 is just too cool for me to pass up, despite my lack of electronics experience.  Just that I seem to have missed basically all of the group buys so I'll be kinda on my own anyways... haha :(

The FPD file has engraved text and artwork, so it can't look like the silkscreen version being made in the panels bulk order, but it is what the original MB-6582 looks like. I've taken care to make the FPD match the control surface PCB, and the panels being ordered now are based off the FPD file for the holes, so you'd have no issues with ordering a panel with an FPD file.

If you like the silkscreen version, I would advise you to wait, because by the time another PCB fabrication is arranged, another panel bulk order will probably be arranged by someone (I'm not suggesting Altitude will do it!)... and there's no point having panels in hand before you have the PCBs and all the other parts anyway.

OK, good to know.  But yeah, true enough, I do agree with that perspective (no point in getting panels made before having PCBs in hand).  I guess I'm just trying to plan ahead in case there's an extremely long wait before another set of PCBs are made (to the extent that I'm looking into what I'll have to do to make the PCBs, panels, and find all of the components myself.. haha)    ;)

Ahh, now to appeal to all my friends and see if they have any old C64s laying around...  ;)

Keep a look out, I'm sure he'll start a thread if he finds some more, I know he's done a couple (at least) of batches so far. There's somebody in the bulk order forum selling 6581 chips at the moment, and also varios SIDS keep showin up in the fleamarket section. Keep an eye out and you will find some.

G