nebula

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi stryd,

well, doesn't look that bad like I expected ;D

to img1:

- the "misc" box should be right-aligned; if you decrease your window width it would be rendered normally (then the left floating box becomes larger). a quick workaround for this would be to add a horizontal <hr> right before the "Misc"-Box, but that would add a fixed vertical space (as to be seen in http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki ... MBHP <-> MIOS ...dunno if this would be better in this case). Maybe this could be also solved by tweaking the CSS properties for the floating boxes; I'll have to check this...

to img2 & 3:

- as jimp just said nearly simultaneously, the grey images are a result of transparent PNGs, these are not supported by IE < v7. The only "workaround" for this would be transparent GIFs :-X

- for the box position in img2 it's the same as described above

Best,

Michael

ps:

Thanks for the kind feedback to jimp & MTE :)

Edit:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/projects

better now? ;D

transparent png is a known bug i ie6

try ie7...

Bug or unsupported feature? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294714

I need IE6 for work, and this is not a matter of fixing my problem, it's a matter of ensuring that all visitors to the wiki will have the same experience.

I think transparent gifs should be fine, no?

well, doesn't look that bad like I expected ;D

No, I keep telling you guys over and over it looks great! Please don't hate me and ignore my compliments just because I have found some bugs too :'(

to img1:

- the "misc" box should be right-aligned;

You've fixed that in all three instances for me :)

You didn't mention the alignment of the icons with the text though...

You mentioned a workaround, and although I am comfortable with that, a lot of newbies say that the wiki is too hard to deal with as it was before, so I don't think that we should introduce any new complexities and push people further away. Anything that requires a workaround should be fixed or removed.

to img2 & 3:

- as jimp just said nearly simultaneously, the grey images are a result of transparent PNGs, these are not supported by IE < v7.

Yep, GIFs... But you made that sound like a bad thing?

• 3 weeks later...
who turned on the ugly switch on the wiki?

From what I see in the picture' date=' I guess you mean the fuzzy rendered headlines?

I honestly don't know what to do about this, other than [i']<angry redfaced uncontrolled emotional outburst>trashing the f**ing ugly IE</arueo> or <taking a deep breath gaining back self-control />arguing with stryd about the serifs in the capital "I".

You see:

-> I can't use Verdana or Lucida Grande or any serif-font, because stryd does not like the slab-serifs in the "I"

-> I can't take Arial Black, because it obviously renders non-aliased in IE

-> so what should I do? I'm running out of options, when I'd like to have a non-serif xtra bold font (a thin one is looking totally shitty!)

I know that we're not going to make everybody 100% happy... but it's not really helpful to say "it's ugly" ... so please make your alternative font-suggestion instead;

give me a bold sans-serif font (with no serifs on the "i") that is rendered normally in IE.

From what I see in the picture' date=' I guess you mean the fuzzy rendered headlines?

I honestly don't know what to do about this, other than [i']<angry redfaced uncontrolled emotional outburst>trashing the f**ing ugly IE</arueo> or <taking a deep breath gaining back self-control />arguing with stryd about the serifs in the capital "I".

You see:

-> I can't use Verdana or Lucida Grande or any serif-font, because stryd does not like the slab-serifs in the "I"

-> I can't take Arial Black, because it obviously renders non-aliased in IE

-> so what should I do? I'm running out of options, when I'd like to have a non-serif xtra bold font (a thin one is looking totally shitty!)

I know that we're not going to make everybody 100% happy... but it's not really helpful to say "it's ugly" ... so please make your alternative font-suggestion instead;

give me a bold sans-serif font (with no serifs on the "i") that is rendered normally in IE.

How about the Calibri font? It's the new standard MS font in office 2007 afaik, don't know hoe it will render though...

Sorry...  :-[  It was a brief comment on how it wasn't ugly before and now is ;D and did not really want to get into a big argument about which font is best. What was there before was OK as far as I recall.

I can only say that I second that - it was okay before and now it looks... at least not very readable to my eyes. Yes, I think that's it - the letters are not easily identified.  :-\

I have no idea what font that is now, what it was or what the others mentioned here look like. It was just okay before.

Best regards, ilmenator

one more thing:

I just had a look on NothernLightXes user page and was very happy to see the new features used...  :)

in contrast, I noticed that Wilba isn't using the headlines as they were supposed to be, I mean starting with h1, then h2, h3 and so on... You started with h1 and then proceed directly to h3 and h4. I think it's quite clear that the fontsize is getting smaller and smaller the lower the heading gets - and moreover the indents are not very continuous.

If the TOC is the reason for this, you can disable it completely by typing

[tt]~~NOTOC~~[/tt]

I attached an update where I set the main font and the headlines to "sans-serif", so it falls back to the font you chose as "sans-serif" in your browser.

I also fixed the <li> spacings in the toc.

CHEER!!!! Thanks man It's lookin good. Hangon... the icons in the boxes seem to be misaligned :( I swear they were in line like they should be just a minute ago... Yeh, like that...wait now it's broken again... hahahahah what are you doing :)

Hmm it's still doing it.. sometimes when I refresh the icons are inline (like the IE screenshot I posted before) and sometimes they are not) like the FF shot)

It may have always been doing this, I never sat there refreshing the same page over and over before...

I just opened it in IE and there are still no transparent gifs...

Darn I got excited :(

S1 i dunno if this can explain anything but i use MAMP (sql virtual server) to create pages offline and when i make a change in the css or swap some images the browser won t update immediately whe i refresh the page but .. sometime.. i didn t find a real logic in it, yet..

..anyway i think that the browser is caching infos and will reuse them untill it decides to see if anything has changed in the source, as i ve written i use a virtual server in the same machine where i edit the page and it still does it so it s not possibly server dependant..

cheers

simone

Are you still working on this AC? It's gone really quiet, but it's not quite done yet...

I'm currently on the road ;)

(back next week...)

but afaics the latest css update where I changed the headline-fonts has not been updated by an admin (see page before)

What problems besides the gifs and "it's-uglier-than-before" do you have?

(btw: anyone is free to convert the pngs to gifs)

If you mean the box-sizes: => they are related to the size of your browser window...

best,

Michael

• 1 month later...

Hi guys....

I was editing the wiki (moving linked files to local namespaces, moving dictionary entries to their own namespace, etc.) and somehow managed to corrupt the start page css.  I did update the "box" plugin, but did not expect it to overwrite changes in such an evil way.

Sorry for any extra work this creates, and I will happily put the time in to fix it if anyone has the edited CSS handy.

Best

SmashTV