Crystalfontz CFAH2004A-xxx 20x4 LCD (for Wilbas MB-6582) for just US$ 9.99!!

zid

Hi there,

think this might be interesting for the community...

As I missed the LCD bulk order for Wilba's project, I was doing a little 'research' on the web where to get the Crystalfontz LCD for a reasonable price. Think I was successfull...  :)

Crystalfontz CFAH2004A-TMI-JP (the blue one) for just US$ 9.99 (plus shipping)

at www.divineo.com (direct link http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/zz-xb-lcd-b.html). There is no minimum quantity (well, strangely the price per unit goes up the more you order  ??? ).

Unfortunately they only offer the blue and 'green' LCDs. But I'm just fine with the blue one.

So maybe this is an alternative for other 'bulk-order-missers'...  ;D

I already ordered some. Will give you feedback once they arrive at my place!

It's a standard character LCD using the HD44780 industrial standard, the default LCD type for MIOS.

The only thing worth noting is that white backlight LCDs are edge lit (not a LED array underneath)... they will therefore use less current (maybe only 60mA?) and the brightness control of the Core PCB might not work as expected - you can use a 100ohm resistor in series with +5v/ground to pins 15 and 16 as an alternative, if you are paranoid and worried about burning out the LEDs.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, don't worry, you're supposed to mount the LCD behind the PCB.

After you've used the PCB as a guide for mounting the spacers to the panel, you can solder the switches on, but for the switches that overlap the LCD's PCB, you should solder  the pads on the top side, and cut the pins on the bottom - so you can mount the LCD close to the PCB. I will explain this more in the construction guide soon.

• 3 months later...

sorry, where you find crystalfotnz LCD for that cheap? i need some, if you can direct me i'll buy. thankyou.

FCB Electronics Store on ebay..

i ask, i answer  :P

just have a look at the link in my first post of this thread...divineo.com still sell these for 9.99 USD

Good price, better than any 20X2 prices I've found. I'm new and just about to order all the stuff to build my first basic midibox sid (and hopefully grow it from there). Will this work ok for that application or do I need to do something special to use the 20X4 format?